Refinishing Rocker

I have a bentwood rocker (made Taiwan??) that I want to re-cane and refinish. I've tried removing the old finish with Citristrip, stipeze, zylol and acetone but nothing touches this finish. The finish can be sanded off or scraped with a sharp cabinet scraper producing a fine powder that reminds me of lacquer or some sort of enamel but I can find no way to remove it chemically.

Any ideas?

Don

Reply to
Donald Drew, Jr

Could it be a melamine finish? Many pieces from Asia are being finished this way. I assume it is not a case of a layer of wax over the finish making it difficult for the stripper to get to the finish. If it is melamine, you will have to score the finish first. Sandpaper might work. Once the stripper gets under the melamine, it should release.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron