Rediscovering the Wheel, repeatedly

Page 3 of 5
On 1/7/2013 10:37 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Maybe 2. One set up for cross cutting and one for rip'n. Maybe 3, a dado set up. Then a bigger shop. And then.......
On 1/7/2013 9:47 AM, Dave wrote:

instrument to work for you with the Lottery authority. The accountant to handle the taxes for the various municipalities with their hands out, and the security guard if there is anything left to worry about the guard.
On 1/7/2013 9:38 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Naw,,, Hire a lawyer and he gets most of your winnings up front.

I was thinking of a lawyer in the context of all the leeching relatives attempting to sue me for some of the winnings. But, you're right in the sense that it's usually the lawyers that end up with a significant amount of the money.
Dave wrote:

Pay no attention to either.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 1/7/2013 10:30 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Lottery winners typically do not know how to handle money in the first place. That is why they are poor and why they play the lottery.

Exactly so.
Games of chance exist for one reason: to transfer money from people who don't understand probability, to people who do.
On 1/7/2013 12:43 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

+1
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Yep ...
--
Best regards
Han

That's not hard to do, considering that fully half the population will have some type of cancer during their lifetime.

PLEASE sentence me!
-- Intuition isn't the enemy, but the ally, of reason. -- John Kord Lagemann

What do you use the "ready area" for? Back before I was such an expert woodworker I had a piece of furniture built to hold my (keyboard) gear. It's effectively an armoire, only much deeper, and it's located within 10' of the front door. Back when we were gigging heavily, that was a real blessing.
On 1/7/13 5:50 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I have 3 drum sets and I use each for different gigs/sessions. I don't have the space to keep cases and hardware for all three, so a lot of those things get shared. The drum room is even more crowded than the shop. Each is two sides of a (previously) 2 car garage. A previous owner converted one side into a little den area (drum room).
There's very little space in the drum room to get kits ready for travel, so it generally spills out into the shop. I also have to load out drums though the shop, out its garage door to the van/car. The table saw is always in the way, since it sits near the garage door for obvious reasons. The saw has to be collapsed, turned 90degrees, and pushed into it's cubby that has other tools in it, when the saw is in use. (Remember the game Tetris?) I could go on. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 1/7/2013 10:34 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Welcome to my world ... a world where doing just one thing requires sixteen other things to be done first.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/7/2013 12:23 PM, Swingman wrote:

square maybe 3" on a side with a 4x4 grid and 15 tiles. The objective was to move the tiles around until you got the numbers in order, or made a picture. In real life sometimes all sixteen slots are filled, but the objective remains the same.
On 1/7/13 1:58 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

That perfectly describes my experience when moving between woodworking and music. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Which can be so frustrating. And your not talking about picking up hand tools it's more like a set change in broadway show.
Mike M
On 1/7/2013 11:34 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Sounds like a problem that could be solved (or at least improved) through woodworking. You can get a heck of a lot of drums in a cabinet whose shelves are numerous and just the right distance apart. Or you could scrap the whole lot and go electronic. :)

That's one of the nice things about the "Keyboard Armoire"; it's attractive enough that it doesn't need to be hidden in a part of the house that's hard to get to. There were years that my gear went out and came back in 100 times (a number that would have been higher if I hadn't just left the equipment in the car between closely-spaced gigs) so it saved me a great deal of work. I highly recommend the idea.
The table saw is

I'm sure I would never have the patience for that. I'd be taking up the harmonica instead.
On 1/7/2013 2:22 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Awww, poor little ole drummers ... don't think I've ever been in a band where one of us wouldn't finally take pity on the poor drummer and help get his crap loaded in the van/bus, if nothing else just so we could _finally_ get on the road to the next gig. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/7/13 2:32 PM, Swingman wrote:

If only other were so nice. I love getting on the bus and looking around for a set, only to find guitars taking up valuable butt space. Too precious to go under the bus, I guess. My advise: discover the hard case.
I'm the first one at the gig and the last one out. Mostly, because I don't want to be the last one set up... and I don't like having crap on stage, in others' way.
--

-MIKE-

On 1/7/13 2:22 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

The shelves are in place. That other comment will be ignored because of my new year resolution to be nicer. My resolutions last about a week, you you just made the deadline. :-)

Rest of the house has steps. Worse problem. :-) If I really wanted to waste some money, I'd use a cartage service and not haul anything.
--

-MIKE-