Recutting dovetail saw teeth

Somewhere, somehow I saw something last year about re-cutting the teeth on ye olde average dovetail saw. I've done this once before, but it was under someone's tutelage about 30 years ago, maybe more. More likely more.
Essentially, mostly filing off the old teeths' set and then filing and resetting as a rip saw.
Anyone have any details I might be able to use?
Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige
On 28 Oct 2003 16:08:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

This can be done, although not with pull-cut Japanese saws. There is a tool that fits over the saw teeth to guide a file over the teeth. I beleive I've seen this descibed in a tool sharpening book by "Lee." It takes patience, bright natural light, magnification and a keen eye.
On 28 Oct 2003 16:08:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Charlie:
This is one of those areas, "...where angels fear to tread."
The Galoots get into this pretty good, though. Here's a link to their search page.
http://denali.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/archive/search.phtml
I usually refer to Leonard Lee's book on sharpening but even he doesn't have much to say about this. I just satisfy myself with following the old tooth configuration with a feather edge file.
Good luck.
Charlie:
It bothered me that I couldn't lay my hand on an article dealing with this so I went on what I figured might turn out to be a snipe hunt.
Found a snipe, though.
Ian Kirby did a sidebar on sharpening backsaws (including dovetail saws) in issue #39 of FWW, which was later compiled into the Taunton, "Fine Woodworking On...", series book, "Hand Tools.
It looks pretty solid. If you don't have access to either of the above sources, I can scan it and send you a .jpg.
Sounds interesting, and I would appreciate a copy of it also. I have two older saws that need to be touched up, and I always forget to ask my shapening person if they can do them.
Paul Sellers at Homestead Heritage mentioned using a sabre saw blade with the right tooth count. He said to clamp it to the side of the dovetail saw and use it as a guide to cut the new teeth with. When you got to the end of the guide (sabre saw blade), move it down, index it to the last tooth cut, and continue until finished. I've never tried it, but I bet it will work. The link to Homestead Heritage is http://homesteadheritage.com/woodworking/index.html

ye
be
Charlie Self wrote:

I don't know if Pete Taran goes into this, but his article on saw filing is a worthwhile read: http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html
Wolfgang
--
"Holzbearbeitung mit Handwerkzeugen": http://www.holzwerken.de
Forum Handwerkzeuge:
Charlie Self wrote:

Get Tom Law's video on sharpenning. He does a bit on recutting teeth. You can get it from toolsforworkingwood.com
Also Mario Rodriguez did an article in Fine Woodworking 121 Nov/Dec 1996
jw