Recutting dovetail saw teeth

Somewhere, somehow I saw something last year about re-cutting the teeth on ye olde average dovetail saw. I've done this once before, but it was under someone's tutelage about 30 years ago, maybe more. More likely more.

Essentially, mostly filing off the old teeths' set and then filing and resetting as a rip saw.

Anyone have any details I might be able to use?

Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige

Reply to
Charlie Self

This can be done, although not with pull-cut Japanese saws. There is a tool that fits over the saw teeth to guide a file over the teeth. I beleive I've seen this descibed in a tool sharpening book by "Lee." It takes patience, bright natural light, magnification and a keen eye.

Reply to
Phisherman

Charlie:

This is one of those areas, "...where angels fear to tread."

The Galoots get into this pretty good, though. Here's a link to their search page.

usually refer to Leonard Lee's book on sharpening but even he doesn't have much to say about this. I just satisfy myself with following the old tooth configuration with a feather edge file.

Good luck.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Charlie:

It bothered me that I couldn't lay my hand on an article dealing with this so I went on what I figured might turn out to be a snipe hunt.

Found a snipe, though.

Ian Kirby did a sidebar on sharpening backsaws (including dovetail saws) in issue #39 of FWW, which was later compiled into the Taunton, "Fine Woodworking On...", series book, "Hand Tools.

It looks pretty solid. If you don't have access to either of the above sources, I can scan it and send you a .jpg.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Sounds interesting, and I would appreciate a copy of it also. I have two older saws that need to be touched up, and I always forget to ask my shapening person if they can do them.

Reply to
ToolMiser

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

I don't know if Pete Taran goes into this, but his article on saw filing is a worthwhile read:

Wolfgang Jordan

Get Tom Law's video on sharpenning. He does a bit on recutting teeth. You can get it from toolsforworkingwood.com

Also Mario Rodriguez did an article in Fine Woodworking 121 Nov/Dec 1996

jw