Rip saw, how many teeth

I need to replace the blade in my bench saw, it will only have very occasional use for ripping (prob max of 1.4 cms wood), would 24 or 40 teeth be better?

Reply to
ss

a ripping blade would have less teeth, probably not be TCT and would leave a poor finish, but it would cut fast. There is a method of calculating how many teeth you might want but you would need to input the motor speed, blade dia, feed rate and power and i don't know what the formula is.

a sharp ripping blade is a joy to use but is a single purpose blade. you know that I am sure. it isn't the same as a general purpose blade without a lot of teeth.

TW

Reply to
TimW

10" blade?

If ripping is not the main task, then go for the combination blade (~40T) - it will still rip, just not as fast, and everything else it will make a nicer job of.

I just ordered a couple of new blades:

and

Very nice blades with plenty of carbide on each tooth, very pleased with them.

Reply to
John Rumm

The more teeth the smoother provided its not under powered or you want to saw damp wood. I hate power saws dangerous things. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

More teeth = smoother cut. Less teeth = rougher cut, but more speed & less power to do it. The upside of more teeth is it can be good enough to do all jobs, though ripping will be slower. Any blade can manage 1.4cm.

Aldi just had some triple chip discs for 3.99 each.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I love power saws - they make some stuff so much easier to do. Handsaws have their place, but ripping boards and panels for utility projects isn't really one of them. If you're a "fine" woodworker, or just like the feel of well-fettled hand tools, then knock yourself out, but I don't think chipboard/MDF/OSB is ever going to be all that /satisfying/ to work with, just effective when appropriately used.

Reply to
Rob Morley

As with all tools, they need to be used appropriately but that does not make them especially dangerous if used correctly. So far every saw cut injury I have had has been with a hand saw or one sort or another.

Yup, there are plenty of jobs where a hand tool will get it done, but I find it hard to believe that say ripping a dozen 8' long 4x2s in half is a task anyone is going to relish with a hand saw!

Reply to
John Rumm