Recommended furniture dimensions - Armoire

Page 1 of 2
I think someone here once mentioned a resource that lists recommended dimensions for different types of furniture. Can someone post a link?
I'm especially interested in the recommended depth for an armoire that would have a clothes-hanging rod in the usual orientation: parallel to the back. Also the height of the clothes-hanging area. Let's assume it's for shirts and pants folded over hangers. No dresses. No outerwear.
Thanks in advance.
On 2/20/2015 8:35 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I don't want to sound smart ellicky. But if you are going to build this for yourself walk in to your closet and measure the closet rod from the wall and double that figure plus an inch or two. Measure the length of clothing that will be in the piece you will be building and again add a few inches.
On 2/20/2015 10:43 AM, Leon wrote:

I thought of that. But I'm always open to the idea that I may not know something. It's certainly held true so far.
Customize!
Long ago, traditional furniture was made to "fit" that long-ago society. Many pieces, back then, were shorter (smaller), than they are today. Today , people, in general, are taller and some furniture reflects that increase in size.
There are standards, but who's to say they are right for you. https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&rlz 1PQHA_enUS5 74US586&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=furniture%20standard%20dimensions&o q=furniture%20standard%20dimensions&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.9239j0j7
I often decide what's best for me (and mine), and I sometimes compare that to The Golden Ratio, just to see how "equal" that might be, how that might compare. I most often guage function and pleasing to my eye, more so than to strict standard guide lines, but often those standards satisfy my param eters.
My bathroom vanity cabinet (sink) is about 5" higher, than a standard cabin et/sink. I hate having to bend down to that "standard" low, when using th e sink. My shower head is almost 7' high. I hate having to bend low (li ke at some Hotels, etc.), when showering.
Sonny

Yes. YES, YES, YES!!
I built all mine - kitchen too - to be 37 1/2, floor to counter top. My 5' 2" (eyes of green, not blue) wife has no problem with that height.
But...but...but...what about the kiddies? Frankly, my friends, I don't give a damn :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 3:55:53 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
...snip...

Covered with fur, Diamond rings, and all those things?
On 2/20/2015 10:57 AM, Sonny wrote:

When you splash water on your face does it run back down your arms and onto the floor?
Why I don't like tall vanities ... ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Sunday, February 22, 2015 at 8:36:36 AM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

LOL. No. I always thought that splashing of water, that way, was only done on TV commercials, portraying/promoting some masculine image. I wet the wash cloth and wipe my face.
That macho splashing was done long ago, when I use to camp out in the woods, at the lake, somewhere. I ain't so macho, anymore.
Sonny
On 2/22/2015 8:36 AM, Swingman wrote:

Yeah but you are short. ;~)
When I splash water on my face it goes everywhere, not just down my arms and to the floor, all over the counter, mirror, shirt..... LOL
On 2/22/2015 10:50 AM, Leon wrote:

fify
Life beats you down. Just wait 11 years, youngster. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/20/2015 9:35 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

In "The Woodworker's Guide To Furniture Design" by Garth Graves 58" to 60" is given as a good overall height for an armoire. To me, that seems to be quite a bit shorter than what is often seen labeled as such but, going with 60" and applying a very rough approximation of the GR then I see a width of 37.5" and a depth of 23.4". I guess it all depends on what you call an armoire -- the original meaning was IIRC a cabinet meant for storing ones armor.
Perhaps what you are aiming for is more of a 'wardrobe'? I don't see many of them in this country but in the many closetless UK B&Bs I've visited you'd be getting into something around 70" to 74" high, 36" to 40" wide, and of a depth to allow clothes on a hanger to fit. These are usually set up as hanging on one side and drawers and/or shelves on the other although I've seen some that were all hanging with a single shelf above. Try googling for 'wardrobe cabinet dimensions' and see what pops up.
On 2/20/2015 2:05 PM, BenignBodger wrote:

And, do you know the reason why you see so many of these in the UK and European countries?
Taxes...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

What, you mean it has nothing to do with the fact that most of those B&B's are over 100 years old and weren't built with closets?
On 2/23/2015 9:00 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Homes in the UK have a tax based on the amount of rooms, counting closets. Fewer closets, lower taxes. There were taxes 100 years ago too. ;~)

Swingman writes:

Taxes also drove the mansard roof.
Lew
On Monday, February 23, 2015 at 10:17:58 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Speaking of closets, et al...
My buddy was building a post and beam home. He needed to convert his buildi ng loan into a mortgage so he had to get an electrical inspection. He had n ot yet bored the holes for all of the receptacles in the beams that ran alo ng the floor of the dining room, but he was running out of time.
Now, picture the area that was to become the dining room: It was in a sunke n area off of the kitchen, it had floor to ceiling windows, a beautiful cha ndelier hanging from the vaulted ceiling and opened into a sitting area nea r one side of a 2 sided fireplace. There were speakers built into the wall and a beautiful hardwood floor.
My buddy had become well acquainted with the electrical inspector throughou t the build and they got along very well. The conversation during the inspe ction went something like this:
Inspector: And what will this room be used for? Buddy: It's going to be the dining room. Inspector: A dining room requires receptacles every 6'. Buddy: Umm...well...ahhh...then...it's a closet! Inspector: Well, OK, you don't need receptacles in a closet. By the way, th is is going to be a very nice closet.
On Monday, February 23, 2015 at 11:01:32 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hey, if my dog lives indoors, then it's a doghouse, right? No taxes or inspection for doghouses, that I'm aware of.
Wish I had a cat.
Sonny
On Monday, February 23, 2015 at 4:31:50 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:

nspection went something like this:

I guess that would depend on how friendly your are with the inspector.

Do you want mine? She's driving us crazy. 10 months out of the year she's h ardly ever in the house. It's -3 F right now and she's got a serious case o f cabin fever. Just about every hour she's whining to go out into the garag e, 5 minutes later she's banging to get back in.

So eliminating the closets and replacing them with a wardrobe or armoire lessens the tax total? Too bad there aren't many similarly easy tax dodges around.
When I moved here I noticed 13 commodes on my tax bill. Hum I said - Only 4 total - 3 house, 1 shop. What is the other 9. 30 years ago there was a saw mill here and there was a wide building...
I thought they counted the mens room of a long defunk building.
They were counting faucets in the house. Missed two. Wow. One is Never, Never used. They used it as water usage and richness. Had been around since the turn of the 20th century. City 'folk' finally kept complaining.
Martin