Recommended furniture dimensions - Armoire

I think someone here once mentioned a resource that lists recommended dimensions for different types of furniture. Can someone post a link?

I'm especially interested in the recommended depth for an armoire that would have a clothes-hanging rod in the usual orientation: parallel to the back. Also the height of the clothes-hanging area. Let's assume it's for shirts and pants folded over hangers. No dresses. No outerwear.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I don't want to sound smart ellicky. But if you are going to build this for yourself walk in to your closet and measure the closet rod from the wall and double that figure plus an inch or two. Measure the length of clothing that will be in the piece you will be building and again add a few inches.

Reply to
Leon

I thought of that. But I'm always open to the idea that I may not know something. It's certainly held true so far.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Customize!

Long ago, traditional furniture was made to "fit" that long-ago society. Many pieces, back then, were shorter (smaller), than they are today. Today , people, in general, are taller and some furniture reflects that increase in size.

There are standards, but who's to say they are right for you.

I often decide what's best for me (and mine), and I sometimes compare that to The Golden Ratio, just to see how "equal" that might be, how that might compare. I most often guage function and pleasing to my eye, more so than to strict standard guide lines, but often those standards satisfy my param eters.

My bathroom vanity cabinet (sink) is about 5" higher, than a standard cabin et/sink. I hate having to bend down to that "standard" low, when using th e sink. My shower head is almost 7' high. I hate having to bend low (li ke at some Hotels, etc.), when showering.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

In "The Woodworker's Guide To Furniture Design" by Garth Graves 58" to 60" is given as a good overall height for an armoire. To me, that seems to be quite a bit shorter than what is often seen labeled as such but, going with

60" and applying a very rough approximation of the GR then I see a width of 37.5" and a depth of 23.4". I guess it all depends on what you call an armoire -- the original meaning was IIRC a cabinet meant for storing ones armor.

Perhaps what you are aiming for is more of a 'wardrobe'? I don't see many of them in this country but in the many closetless UK B&Bs I've visited you'd be getting into something around 70" to 74" high, 36" to 40" wide, and of a depth to allow clothes on a hanger to fit. These are usually set up as hanging on one side and drawers and/or shelves on the other although I've seen some that were all hanging with a single shelf above. Try googling for 'wardrobe cabinet dimensions' and see what pops up.

Reply to
BenignBodger

I couldn't locate this other reference on my disorganized bookshelves the first time round: "Rodale's Illustrated Cabinetmaking" by Bill Hylton. He gives these dimensions for a generic armoire, wardrobe, schrank: 84" X 22" X 51.5". but this height includes a tallish curved cornice. The schrank is about the same size except for a 71" width. He discusses various permutations of drawers/shelves/hanging as well as a few different styles.

I think I'd still try googling for dimensions and pictures unless you can get to a furniture store which has what you want so you can measure and photograph an example to emulate.

Reply to
BenignBodger

40" is enough for the clothes, a 1 1/2" high rod (I make my own) and sufficient space above the rod to get hangers on and off.
Reply to
dadiOH

Yes. YES, YES, YES!!

I built all mine - kitchen too - to be 37 1/2, floor to counter top. My 5'

2" (eyes of green, not blue) wife has no problem with that height.

But...but...but...what about the kiddies? Frankly, my friends, I don't give a damn :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Greg Guarino wrote in news:mc7gm5$8i5$1@dont- email.me:

Way back when I was a draftsman doing house plans, I was told to never make a closet narrower than 16" because otherwise the hangers wouldn't hang straight. Usually we aimed for 20-22".

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Attached are pictures of the Armoire in my daughters' room. This unit was i nherited from my wife's grandmother about 35 years ago. We suspect that it is of German origin, from the early 1900's, but we are not sure. The wife and I used it for a few years and then it was "given" to the 2 girls for th eir clothes. (Actually, we switched rooms and left it behind because it is too big for the room we moved into)

The overall dimensions are 77" high x 89" long x 26" deep. Yes, it's a very big unit. (more on that later) It was originally designed with a hanging c loset on both ends and an adjustable shelf section in the middle. I modifie d it by lowering the hanging rod and adding an extra shelf as shown in this picture.

As far as the dimensions you were asking about, the top of the hanging rod is 34" from the floor of the Armoire. This was high enough for the girl's c lothes when they were young, but adult size shirts touch the floor. (I've u sed a height of 38" in some closets and that works fine for my shirts, but I'm only 5'4".) The outside depth of the unit is 26", but the inside depth is 23". That is more than enough depth for hanging shirts, pants, etc.

The original hanging rod on the opposite side (not shown) is 59" from the f loor of the Armoire. That's 7" lower than the rods in my standard closets. The shelves in the end sections are 10" from the ceiling of the Armoire.

The Armoire is big, in fact way too big to move as a single unit. However, it is a cleverly designed knock-down unit. The following picture shows 2 fe atures:

1 - The notched brackets and cleats used for the adjustable shelves in the center section. 2 - One of the knock-down connectors that connect the walls to the top and bottom of the unit. By inserting a thin rod, such as a Allen wrench, into t he hole in the barrel, you can screw it down (or up) to take the unit apart . When completely dismantled, you end up with 12 flat pieces, the largest of which are the top and the bottom. Oh yeah...and 8 shelves. The doors ar e attached with piano hinges using 56 flat screws per hinge.

If you need any more dimensions or other information, don't hesitate to ask .

Reply to
DerbyDad03

...snip...

Covered with fur, Diamond rings, and all those things?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

dunno but would check those pro closet sites and see what dimensions they show use

I saw one once that had the hangers hanging at an angle so the depth was less than a full-hanger width. it had room on the gaps for a shelf for briefs and socks

the hangers on the left hung one way and the hangers on the right hung opposite with two gaps one left one right there was also a tie rack in the middle gap

but it was missing the sock/brief warming accoutrement

Reply to
Electric Comet

That notched design dates back to, at least, the 1820s. Here's 2 pics of a 1820s china hutch that has a similar notched (adjustable) shelf bracing. Cabinet:

(and how about those recently upholstered dining chairs!!!) Bracing:

Just so happens, I plan to use this bracing technique on/in the gun cabinet, i.e., being able to (easily) remove the 2 gun rack aspects and install adjustable shelves. I happen to have just enough of those old boards, remaining, to make 3 shelves.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I think the height should be tall enough you do not see the dust on top.

Reply to
Markem

When you splash water on your face does it run back down your arms and onto the floor?

Why I don't like tall vanities ... ;)

Reply to
Swingman

And, do you know the reason why you see so many of these in the UK and European countries?

Taxes...

Reply to
Swingman

LOL. No. I always thought that splashing of water, that way, was only done on TV commercials, portraying/promoting some masculine image. I wet the wash cloth and wipe my face.

That macho splashing was done long ago, when I use to camp out in the woods, at the lake, somewhere. I ain't so macho, anymore.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Yeah but you are short. ;~)

When I splash water on my face it goes everywhere, not just down my arms and to the floor, all over the counter, mirror, shirt..... LOL

Reply to
Leon

fify

Life beats you down. Just wait 11 years, youngster. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

What, you mean it has nothing to do with the fact that most of those B&B's are over 100 years old and weren't built with closets?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal