recommendations for pocket jig

Leaning heavily towards using pocket joinery where appropriate on my next project, but there's a bunch of jigs available - anywhere from $29 to $99 for what looks like essentially the same thing. I lean towards the $99 kreg model, since amazon also lists plugs for the pockets from kreg and I guess that means they'll have a better chance of fitting.
But, I'd appreciate anyones personal experiences to guide me here.
I got a Kreg and it works beautifully. I took it to school to shared and a couple of people bought it after seeing how simple it was to use.
"Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message

get the kreig. it works great
Len "Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message

everyone who has seen my Kreg has been impressed. it's a nice setup.
Anonymoose wrote:

Reply to all who've posted:
Thanks - which Kreg, the $59 plastic version, or the $99 ... aluminum version? The aluminum one looks more substantial and has a built in clamp, but $40 is $40.

I just purchased the kreg kit which contains the k2000, the Rocket (59.00 by itself) jig and a smaller one hole jig. After using it for a while I decided the Rocket jig at 59.99 would have been more than enough for me. I feel that unless your making a whole lot of pocket holes the larger K2000 really isn't needed. While the jig is plastic, the drill guides are hardend steel and the body seems to be pretty durable. Just my .02
I tend to agree. I have the K2000. The toggle clamp is not really necessary, but it is a nice fixture to speed things up if you are dong any volume of work.
What you do want to make sure you get it the special vice-grip clamp. Good for holding the jig when boring holes, but essential for aligning pieces when installing screws.
I think that particular assortment is the $60 or $70 package.
-Steve

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:15:11 -0600, Anonymoose wrote:

I have the Kreg. Get one for yourself. Don't worry about cost. Go, be happy, be productive, have fun. The folks at Kreg know what customer service is all about.
At the ww show last week I took the time to review the CMT pocket hole jig. They offered $59 for jig, screws and maybe a clamp?. I have 4 Kreg units, yet will also purchase the CMT one. They both do the exact same thing (drill 3/8" hole at a 14 or 15 degree angle), but the CMT includes ability to adjust vertical position of jig before drilling hole. If all you do is 3/4", then a single setup is fine. But try drilling pocket holes in 1/2" plywood (with the Kreg). Yeh it will work, but the screw comes out well off-center. The CMT unit adjusts upward, so when you drill into 1/2", the screw is much closer to center. I make a lot of drawers with 1/2" baltic birch and have found problems dovetailing and those fancy drawer lock router bits.
As for the plugs, don't spend the money; make your own. Take a piece of 3/4" plywood, maybe 15" long and 8"wide. Using Kreg or CMT jig, drill holes ALL THE WAY THRU along the 15" edge every 3/4 inch or so. Now populate every hole with a 3/8 dowel of your choosing. Take that contraption to table saw, set fence at 3/4", move blade way up, hold the plywood against fence with dowels pointing up and away from fence and move wood thru blade. Now take each dowel that was cut off and us it to push the custom plug thru the plywood and position it for the next pass thru saw. With enough dowels, you can make 50 or so in notime.
Good luck, Tom.
Anonymoose <Ihatespam> wrote in message

I bought a KREG 6 years ago and have been extremely happy with it. Can't think of any way to make it better or to change it. Can't say that about very many tools.
On 19 Jan 2004 16:28:53 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (TomS) wrote:

On 19 Jan 2004 16:28:53 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (TomS) wrote:

snipped
I used a CMT a while back, thought it was not quite as stable as the Kreg. There was some "give" to the CMT, it would not hold the wood as tight.
In a class situation, more bits were broke off in the CMTs, than in the Kreg jigs. FWIW.
-Dan V.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (TomS) wrote in

The Kreg K2000 has adapters to use it with 1/2", 3/4" and 1 1/4" thick material. I use the K2000 for almost all of my pocket holes, and have never needed to use the pocket rocket for 1/2" material. But YMMV.
Matt
"Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message

Have the Kreg, Love it. Works a treat. Heres a review if you are interested: http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/kregk2000.htm
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Veritas Shelf Drilling Jig - Ryobi CID1802V 18v Cordless Drill - Workshop Essentials Under $30 - Festool PS 300 Jigsaws - Delta Universal Tenoning Jig