Reasons to be careful

Well hopefully there is no combustion inside of the manifold and having said that, typically the fuel is combusted when it is under higher than atmospheric pressure. And engines work better when the fuel bypasses an intake manifold altogether and is atomized, by an injector, at the optimum location and time inside the cylinder. BUT YES you need a vacuum inside the manifold to draw fuel into the heads and cylinders from a throttle body or carburetor. IIRC sometimes up to 15~30 lbs of vacuum in the manifold at idle, considerably less during full throttle with the butterflies fully open.

And I am not trying to argue with you at all here but there are a lot other considerations to worry about that can make your DC combust aside from static spark.

I cant tell you how many times I have cut through a finishing nail with my TS. Surely there was a really hot spark that traveled into the collector hose.

AND with marginal powered table saws or those with dull blades it is not at all uncommon, at times, for the wood to actually get hot enough to smolder and for the dust from that to go into the DC.

I totally believe the static spark thing is a threat with any DC if the DC is used to clean up something other than wood saw dust. I think the caution labels are a blanket statement for what ever the DC might be used for. Maybe some one uses them to clean up grain elevators. ;~) I know I use mine to suck up anything that is on my shop floor including my son's hair when my wife cuts his hair. Yeah is is 28 but sometimes this is the only way we get to see him. LOL

Reply to
Leon

15-30lbs.?? Atmospheric pressure is only ~14psi.
Reply to
krw

What you said brought back memories, old ones. Like the vacuum gauge in inches of water column. Trying to use it for economy runs to save gas for a race. Watching that sucker jump around made it all pointless. In order to set injectors, or multiple carbs you had to use a manometer to sync them up. On motorcycles and their smaller engines and High rpms it was cortical, if a valve failed to seat or your fuel system flooded out, it was a definite boom time in the intake manifold. I've had more than one engine go up in flames, especially with stromberg 97's. ;)

that's ok, I meant it as a joke, "in my imagination" just letting it go wild to conjure up something. I believe that was first in response to Mikes comment on using imagination. Guess it didn't come across that way, sorry.

I've had that happen with skil saws, actually had glowing embers from a dull blade.

As long as he doesn't ask for money too. :)

I finally picked up an 1 1/2" hose for some of my small stuff, then realized I should cut that into smaller pieces and buy a few more fittings for it. I mistakenly had my hand holding the 2 1/2 hose when I hit to button to start the vac and boy did that hurt. that flex hose slammed closed in a hurry, pinching my skin and gave me instant blood blisters with that small hose hooked up. WOWEE! Then the small hose started whistling and stuff. I'm not sure how long that hose is, but it is so restrictive that I want to shorten it some to increase the air flow and cut down on the whistling at the same time. I'm thinking I am going to Rockler for those. they seem much better prepared with the fittings and hose then woodcraft where I picked up the hose on a whim. Where I am at there is only a woodcraft, and it is an independent store. Rockler is about 50-60 miles away.

Reply to
OFWW

Check this out:

It's worth watching all the way through ....

Reply to
joeljcarver

Vacuum, not pressure.

Reply to
Leon

How much you want to bet they didn't use a static spark for the ignition source?

Reply to
-MIKE-

You any kin to the cajun John Wayne?

Capt. Clay Higgins of Louisiana, a GREAT AMERICAN!

Reply to
Enraged Apostate, World Citize

-MIKE- wrote in news:najg36$bdl$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

DAMHIK but... You ever seen the bag blow off of a dust collector while you were planing a 10" wide board?? That SOB will make a mess in a couple of seconds that will take you hours to clean up. Particles from the planer would be much larger than dust but the built-up dust in the bag that escapes would certainly come close.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Exactly the problem. You can't pull a vacuum higher than the outside atmospheric pressure. That is, once you suck all the air out of the room (14psi), you can't suck any more. Well, The Donald can, but...

Reply to
krw

I think he meant inches of Hg, a common measure on a vacuum gauge.

29.92 is perfect vacuum at 1 atmosphere.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

OK, My mistake, not PSI, inches of vacuum. I was trying to recall what the vacuum gauge on my first car indicated. I thought it was between

15~30 "inches".. apparently inches on the gauges are double actual PSI.
Reply to
Leon

Yes! Precisely, I was mistaken. Inches not PSI, although the actual PSI is half the reading on the gauge.

Reply to
Leon

I questioned it because you said it and it was repeated. I didn't know if you were talking about in.Hg, or what. Yes, PSI is half in.Hg (though I hadn't thought of it that way) by the simple fact that

1ATM = ~14PSI = ~30"Hg.
Reply to
krw

1ATM = 14 PSI = 0" Hg
Reply to
OFWW

You've mixed reference -- 1 atm is ~760 mm Hg (29.9"), 0" Hg _gauge_ pressure relative to atmospheric. Negative is then vacuum, positive is pressure like 28 psi for tires is 28 psig(auge) or 28 psi _above_ atmospheric.

Reply to
dpb

No, you've got absolute and relative pressure measurements mixed together. 0" Hg (absolute) is a vacuum. 0" Hg relative to 1ATM is, well, 1ATM.

Reply to
krw

On 02/27/2016 8:17 AM, dpb wrote: ...

Or, when in "inches (mm) vacuum" then the negative sign is discarded but numeric value is same of course.

Reply to
dpb

Possibly, I didn't verify what ATM stood for, just accepted it as one Atmosphere at sea level. I almost made the mistake of typing psig but caught myself since that would be 14 above atmospheric pressure.

Now 0" is the equivalent to the air pressure at sea level. And yes, it is gauged vacuum. since everything above 30" is actually positive pressure.

The air pressure at 20,000 feet is 6.8 Psi equivalent to 13.6" hg. And yes, there is oxygen at that level. Maybe not enough to keep us functional, but it is still there.

So if you want to dry out wood quickly run it up the mountain it would be less expensive than pulling a vacuum on it. ;)

Reply to
OFWW

But you can't drop the reference from the units-- 0" Hg _vacuum_ is equivalent, yes, but _NOT_ just 0" Hg. The units are important, not just the number.

Reply to
dpb

No, 0 psi is absolute. Vacuum is always relevant.

Atmosphere

Unit

The standard atmosphere (symbol: atm) is a unit of pressure defined as

101325 Pa (1.01325 bar). It is sometimes used as a reference or standard pressure. In 1954 the 10th Conférence Générale des Poids et Mesures (CGPM) adopted standard atmosphere for general use and affirmed its definition of being precisely equal to 1,013,250 dynes per square centimetre (101325 Pa).

Therefore 1 atm is equal to 14.69595 psi

There is no such thing as a vacuum, per se' it is always a relative measurement.

At 250,000 feet above sea level it is 0 PSI Absolute. Imperial measurements.

Using a moisture indicator on any wood, it would register "0"

Microns is also used in measurement of a vacuum to tell when certain physical properties are no longer there.

Reply to
OFWW