Speaking of which, any motor with brushes, spark. It is the nature of
the beast, and capacitor start motors had a switch which opens up when
a certain RPM is reached, and it too sparks.
One has to have a TEFC IIRC or an explosion proof motor to contain
sparks on failure of a motor.
I am afraid this threads becoming a bit irrational.
As many times as a saw blade has hit a nail, especially on a TS and
thrown the spark into the dust bin below if it were a serious problem
we'd of heard about it the day the women who invented the TS operated
Remember an accident is a chain of unlikely events aligning. Now if
and when someone has a dust explosion from saw dust, the cause will
not be static. The water heater, furnace or other open flame in the
room yep that would do it. But what did "you" do to suspend that much
dust in the air? Sugar on the other hand burns great and fast,
powdered is best (do not try in a confined space).
Everything you mentioned is covered by insurance because the probability
or likelihood of them happening is actually fairly high, in the context
of this conversation.
When's the last time you saw insurance companies offering personal
lightning/meteor strike policies. Heck, I should do that. It would
the most lucrative profitable business ever.
"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
SWMBO has a friend who completely refuses to drive on interstate highways because they
terrify her, and instead drives only on secondary roads -- where of course the risk of fatality is
an order of magnitude higher.
Doesn't make sense to me.
DAMHIK but... You ever seen the bag blow off of a dust collector
while you were planing a 10" wide board?? That SOB will make a
mess in a couple of seconds that will take you hours to clean
up. Particles from the planer would be much larger than dust but
the built-up dust in the bag that escapes would certainly come
When I was an 8th grader, a buddy of mine and I were hired by the local
CO-OP to broom out the corn dust in the head houses of the grain elevators
in my home town. They wanted it done because they feared a buildup of the
dust might cause an explosion given the right conditions. We liked the job
because no one came to look in on us because it was such a dirty job: after
about five minutes of pushing brooms the headhouses would have so much
powder in the air you couldn't see across the room. We also liked it
because we could stand outside the headhouse and smoke cigarettes without
fear of being caught.
An additional elevator was built when I was a sophomore. It was about 60
feet taller than the old one so the design was to build a 24" diameter auger
up to the head house on the new structure from the old one. One Saturday
after the new elevator had been slipped and had been cured enough to drill
concrete anchors into it, the engineers came up to the top of the old
elevator where we had started cleaning. Of course we were smoking. It was
cold outside so we were inside. They got off the man lift just as my buddy
took a deep drag on his cig. They saw the glowing coals through the corn
dust cloud and nearly trampled each other getting the hell back on the man
lift to escape what they were sure to be a huge explosion.
They apparently didn't squeal on us. But a few minutes later the elevator
operator came up and said to stay up there until the dust cleared then come
When I was a Junior I told the story to my science teacher. Without
profanity he called my buddy and I a couple of dumb asses and then explained
spontaneous combustion. For the class he made an example. He took a 2
pound coffee can. He drilled a hole on the side near the bottom where he
attached a length of tubing. He put a votive candle inside near the center
of the bottom. Then he poured a ring of cornstarch around the candle. He lit
the candle and put a lid on the can. He blew a short puff of air in the
tube. The ball of fire was big enough to scorch the ceiling tiles!
Stupid is as stupid does.
But not spontaneous combustion...that is like the haystack that catches
itself on fire from internal heat buildup from decomposition owing to
having been too damp when put up.
Explosive combustion such as you're describing requires an external
ignition source; here the candle; possibly your cigarette butt in the
Is fortunate you didn't have a "boom!" moment, indeed. Perhaps were
lucky in there being sufficient "dirt dirt" in the mixture besides the
grain dust so that had a high aerial concentration but much of it wasn't
that combustible, who knows...or maybe it "just wasn't your time" yet.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.