Re: Your Thoughts, Input, Advice......?

I got a none of my business question. I was curious. When you say you have been in cabinetry for 20 years, were you an adult when you started or a kid.
I would like to get into cabinet making one day, but am afraid I am too old. I am over thirty, but less than forty. Am I too old? I know I am gonna get flamed for saying that, but I don't know another way to ask. I promise this is not a troll. Can someone "get good" at making cabinets even if he didn't start doing it when he was five and grew up in the trade? Thanks.
I worked with computers and have been since I was 14, and that is where my intuitive skill set is. But I can't say whether I would be as good or not had I started older.

all you need to get good is attitude (a burning interest in cabinet making), experience (practice, practice, practice), and aptitude (your skills set should include woodworking related things such as the ability to work with your hands, patience, pride in workmanship) . It goes without saying that you also need a place to do it, money for the proper tools and materials, and having the support of a loving woman helps too! :)
Age is NOT a factor, by any means. Don't worry about being in your thirties. You've still got a "few good years" left. (Reminds me of my ex complaining about vet bills for our dog; she said, in all seriousness, that she "had to get a few more good years out of her.") That was at least 2 years ago, so I guess she's gotten her wish.
If you are going to make a business out of it, then you also need some business savvy. Know how to market, how to price (conversely meaning how to buy at rock bottom prices), how to apportion your time between selling and building. How to hire/train employees, if you aspire to be a larger than a one man operation. Prepare for long hours and a period of time when something other than the business is going to pay the bills.
dave
jm wrote:

What the hell does age have to do with it? Although my body recently celebrated its 40th anniversary of entering that particular decade, my mind is still firmly lodged somewhere back in my twenties.
With regard to attending classes. While the "people experience" would be a big plus, I've always been of the opinion that I could learn anything I didn't already know out of a book, and would rather buy one and spend the big bucks, first on tools, and then on materials to build those projects. I feel I've gained far more experience that way than I would have attending classes.
You'll also notice, with advanced age, that these classes flourish during affluent times, and dwindle in the not so affluent ... but a good book and tools, once bought, can continue teaching for a life time.
Therefore, it you're affluent enough to do both, like your step-father, go for it ... if not, buy a book when you need it, and do likewise.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/24/03