Re: Wood shreds... Follow-up

around with it. Jointer, planer, various hand planes, cabinet scraper, scraper, sand paper.... doesn't matter, the wood peals apart. Score it across the grain with a sharp knife and the wood lifts and shreds on either side of the cut.
==========> I believe I found the explanation for the phenomenon described above. Though having read a couple books on wood I picked up Hoadley's book "Understanding Wood" from a remainder vendor a few months ago... along with about 20 other titles. I finally got around to going through Hoadley's book. On page 167 in a discussion of "raised grain" were found pictures and a description that matched exactly what is described above. Seems this is the result of dull planer knives, or knives that have been excessively jointed, or too high a moisture content upon planing.

+ + + This refers to the second edition of the book (was page 154 in first edition). I would not describe what is referred to there as "pealing apart", although it is bad enough. The first step to salvaging obviously would be to dry the wood? PvR
schreef

with
book.
the
jointed,
apart",
Did that piece of wood ever show up? (Went out in the mail... a bit pricy!) If it did show up you would find that peeling is quite descriptive (I have to admit that pealing isn't! ;-) )You could literally peel layers off by catching a finger nail under a layer where it stood proud and pulling.
At it's heart the salvage question was about how deep the damage goes in such a case. That is, is it isolated to say the top 1/8" or does the damage pretty much go through a piece say 1/2" to 3/4" thick. The surface was so bad I didn't try going any deeper than maybe a 1/32" to 1/16"...
John