Re: wake up call.

A good reminder for me too. Thanks.

John

keith nuttle wrote:

We are having the hardwood floors in our upstairs floors sanded and > varnished. After having put two coats of varnish on the floors, they > buffed the floor, before applying the final coat. The 800 odd square > feet produced a couple of gallons of dust. The floor people placed it > in a bag and placed it in the trash can. Without thinking I moved the > can into the garage since it was garbage day and the trash had been > picked up. A couple of hours later my wife called into the living > room saying she smelt smoke. I went out, could also smell the smoke, > and opened the garage door. It was full of dark smoke. When I > realized it was in the trash can and saw no flames, I opened the > garage door and move the trash can into the drive way and applied > copious amounts of water. > > Fortunately there was no damage except to the plastic trash can. It > could have been drastically different. We had just moved and there > were over a hundred of my wife's painting stored in the garage still > in the cardboard packing. It would have been a different story if we > had gone shopping as we had discussed. > > It did not occur to me that the trash can had the dust of the fresh > varnish. Nor that varnish and wood dust can start fire by spontaneous > combustion though I have read it on this newsgroup many time. >
Reply to
Eddie Munster