Re: Stainable wood filler

I have purchased Famowood fir and Famowood red oak as well as small containers of three other kinds of fillers. When I apply the stain (Minwax Golden Oak) all of the fillers are significantly darker than the rest of the oak.

I think I am going to have to try some methods AFTER applying stain and urethane to the project such as have been suggested in this thread (stainable wood glue and oak saw dust seems to be the best one for me to try). I have some miters that are showing more joint than I want. I want to fill those joints so that they are less visible.

Tomorrow I am going to try to find some stainable wood glue (someone in this thread suggested Elmers) to use for the patchup work. Does anyone have any further advice for me? I have greatly appreciated the help so far but I am still not where I want to be vis a vis lack of visibility of the filling.

>While there are some decent stainable wood filers, they will rarely > >accept > the > stain the same as the wood. > > Famowood does. > > -- > > Rumpty > > Radial Arm Saw Forum:
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > >> While there are some decent stainable wood filers, they will rarely >> accept > the >> stain the same as the wood. Firstly, are these nail holes, or something > much >> bigger/longer? Assuming nails, I'd stain and apply at least enough finish > to >> seal the wood. Then take some sawdust and a little glue. I split it into >> a > few >> samples, and add different amounts of the stain used, then let dry. Pick > the >> one that best matches the finished dresser. Fill each hole and wipe with >> a >> damp sponge, then again with a clean part of the sponge. The finish will >> prevent it from sticking. If it doesn't level to the surface, repeat when > dry. >> It can then be touched up with finish if needed, or the final coat of > finish >> can be applied. >> >> As it happened, I used Golden Oak about 2 years ago on a window molding > and >> sill, and you can't easily find the nail holes. >> GerryG >> >> >> >> >> >I am making a dresser out of oak (plywood and solid) . I will be using a >> >Golden Oak stain on it before sealing it. I need to fill in a few places >> >with wood filler. Does anyone have a stainable wood filler that they >> >particularly like? >> > >> >TIA. >> > >> >Dick Snyder >> > > >
Reply to
Dick Snyder

Wax. Colored wax. Like the "putty sticks".

Reply to
dadiOH

Reply to
GerryG