Re-stain over tung oil?

wrote

My wife, who knows nothing about finishing, would scream when Norm finished some of his products. She just did not understand why he would go to such trouble to make a nice project out of good wood and paint it with some ugly color.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Lew, I laughed so hard at that I almost fell out of my chair. It was eerie... almost like you were here! I thought I saw you through the Nicaraguan smoke for a second...

I am the VP/raffle chairman of our cigar club, and I am in charge of our "Cigars for Troops" drive to get quality cigars to our Middle Eastern outposts. We met tonight to get things going for our November meeting to raise funds to send more cigars overseas. Our little program isn't original, but is has been a huge success.

But a cigar club meeting requires a good, stiff smoke, right? And my selection tonight was about as strong as they get.

I am still laughing pretty hard while trying to type this out. The culprit by the way is an Indian Tabac Double Maduro "Super Fuerte" box pressed cigar.

Lew, you didn't say he was told to allow the BLO to dry. You just said it was allowed to dry 4 - 5 days which as you know certainly isn't enough time. I don't like BLO on anything but home projects as it is too hard to control for consistent, professional grade results.

Rubbing it around on a project at home is one thing but getting the projects finished on a time line means you need something more consistent in your finishing arsenal

As a sidebar, BLO on walnut?? Ouch again. Then orange shellac? Both will amber to the point of yellow, and over a period of time will probably obscure the walnut color and grain.

My bad on the shellacking schedule remark as a response to your post. You did say ONE coat per day. That should be just fine, even it was put over BLO (that was allowed to dry ;^) ). With that kind of time frame, the cut wouldn't matter.

Oh my....

I know there are some that favor shellac on period pieces, and even for authentic coloration of pieces. NEVER have I seen shellac used as a dining room table top coating.

If it was brushed on (or padded) they would have about the right thickness of coating to work for a nice rub out/polish if they weren't heavy handed in the application. Using 2 - 3# cut, they would get a nice coating with that many passes.

No moving on that one. Personally, I don't like it. Now... I DO like an undercoat of homemade primer sealer that has shellac, BLO and real turpentine. That will dry out in a day and you are fine. It also doesn't have enough resin in it to amber or yellow quickly.

Hmmmm. The only stuff I have comes from the nearby Sherwin Williams. I don't believe it has any instructions or recommendations on the can. I can't imagine them bothering with that since none of us would pay attention to it anyway.

In reality, I think I am the only one I know that reads the MSDS sheets, the manufacturer's recommendations on application, etc.

Well, I stand behind that first bit of silliness about staining over cured tung oil.

As far as the Norm section of my rant....

I can't stop laughing (literally!) at the cigar remark. That was just too damn funny. I am still chuckling over here while trying to type.

Thanks for the reply, Lew.

And damnit, it was a mighty fine cigar!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

If that's the case, why put FINISH the table?

Kin ewe say "trivets?

-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Agreed, Robert. He's smear polyurinestain or milk paint over anything, even curly cherry and birdseye maple.

She obviously knows more about finishing than The Nahm.

-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Reply to
Larry Jaques

------------------------------- Glad you enjoyed it.

---------------------------------

------------------------------------ Every little bit helps provide some diversion; however, as a recovering nicotine addict, not sure I can support the program.

-----------------------------------

--------------------------- Sounds like they get your attention.

-----------------------------

------------------------------------- Simple solution to using BLO in a commercial environment, allow 30 day curing time and price accordingly.

Stumbled upon BLO when working with some white oak and grew very fond of the combination, especially when the BLO is cut with turps.

Same with shellac.Keep finding places for it, especially the dewaxed stuiff.

Found a 1lb cut useful to protect jigs

Having dealt with Sherwin-Williams at corporate headquarters, I just hold my nose around them.

One of my neighbors was a grain buyer for S-W.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reading some of the gut wrenching letters we get back, you would indeed.

In rotation on our list, these guys might get 3 cigars a year from us.

Most of them don't smoke the whole cigar. They LOVE to light them up and have their picture taken with them in their mouth a la Al Capone or Groucho Marx. The pics are priceless. The letters of thanks even more so.

Like you said, just a bit of diversion.

One told me "we are sick of Cheetos and cookies. The cigars kicked ass".

Personally, I only smoke two to three a week, sometimes one or two more, sometimes not at all. No more cigs, no more chaw (chew), nothing else.

Never dealt with corporate. Just the knotheads they have here locally. We did get a guy that was a finisher that had gone out of business here in town as a manager for a while. He was great, but too good to last. The gave him his own store and he is 100 miles away now.

Now the guys at the store know only what they read, or what they hear from conversations with their customers. In other words, not much.

Never was privy to their inner politics or business practices. I buy, they bill, I pay. That's all I know.

Robert (the cigar made me do it!) *chuckle*

Reply to
nailshooter41

In rotation on our list, these guys might get 3 cigars a year from us.

Most of them don't smoke the whole cigar. They LOVE to light them up and have their picture taken with them in their mouth a la Al Capone or Groucho Marx. The pics are priceless. The letters of thanks even more so.

Like you said, just a bit of diversion.

One told me "we are sick of Cheetos and cookies. The cigars kicked ass". Personally, I only smoke two to three a week, sometimes one or two more, sometimes not at all. No more cigs, no more chaw (chew), nothing else.

------------------------------------- Can certainly understand the response you get.

Some times you forget what it was like to be a kid with a man's job to do.

Backed when I smoked, a box of 50 cigars was good for maybe 10 days.

It's been over 30 years, but once an addict, always an addict.

One cigar, no matter how bad, and I would be hooked again.

I'm one of those "hell on wheels" reformed smokers.

------------------------------

locally. We did get a guy that was a finisher that had gone out of business here in town as a manager for a while. He was great, but too good to last. The gave him his own store and he is 100 miles away now.

Now the guys at the store know only what they read, or what they hear from conversations with their customers. In other words, not much.

Never was privy to their inner politics or business practices. I buy, they bill, I pay. That's all I know.

----------------------------------

Remember when they pulled one of the all time bone head moves when they tried to replace the S-W "Cover The Earth" logo?

Nuf said.

They were not only VERY frugal, but a couple of quarts light about some things.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Never got into cigars, but I still like the smell of one, unlike the stink, at least to this ex-smoker, of a cigarette.

19 years this Nov 16th smoked my last one after a thirty year, three pack a day habit. Sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee a couple of days ago and I had a strong urge to reach for one ... what the hell triggered that?

What is amazing is that today I don't have a single acquaintance who smokes, and rarely even see anyone smoke; when it wasn't all that long ago that it was rare to know someone who didn't, and there were cigarette butts everywhere you looked to prove it.

Reply to
Swingman

I'll have 23 years smoke-free in February. I've never had an urge to go back drinking or smoking since quitting both. I hope that lasts.

I don't smoke but there are butts outside my driveway in the road several times a week, even during fire season. Most are dropped but not smashed to kill the embers. Dumbf*cks.

This Texican joke hit my email this morning and I thought you guys would enjoy it.

--snip-- At least he tried to be a good Samaritan...

Another great example of a Texan trying to help. :) Gotta luv em'!

I saw a Muslim extremist fall into the Rio Grande River this morning; he was struggling to stay afloat because of all the guns and bombs he was carrying. Along with him was an illegal Hispanic who was also struggling to stay afloat because of the large backpack of drugs that was strapped to his back. If they didn't get help, they'd surely drown.

And being a responsible citizen, I informed the El Paso County Sheriff's Office and Homeland Security.

It is now 4pm and they still haven't responded. I'm starting to think I wasted two stamps.

--snip--

-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Reply to
Larry Jaques

------------------------------- Remember "No Smoking" sections on airplanes?

When I first came to California in 1990, it was difficult to find a dedicated "No Smoking" section in a restaurant.

Today, you can't smoke on the beach.

Much of the decline of smoking in public places can be attributed to a Los Angeles city councilman whose name escapes me at the moment.

He fought the battle singlehanded for many years.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

ROTFLMAO!!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Anybody remember the Stain Over Old Paint TV commercials?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Is that the one they played, contextually, during Boris Karloff flicks?

-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

Reply to
Larry Jaques

All I recall is the horse whinnying in the background as they talked about staining over old paint.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser