Re: stability - will this idea have it?

I would be concerned with the piece being too top-heavy once the drawers get filled up. A consideration with the traditional drawers-on-bottom-shelves-on-top design has always been to lower the center of gravity. You also have to think about how the top drawer would seriously offset the balance of the piece when it was full *and* open.
david
--
"We have money to blow up bridges over the Tigress and Euphrates and we
don't have money to build bridges in our major cities. We have money to
When you say "keep it open", do you mean no backside also? If you were to rabbet in a piece of 1/8 inch ply, it'd stabilize quite well. Even just a back on the drawers would ridgidify it pretty well. Tom >James wrote: