Anyone have a good idea for this??

Anyone have a good way to disolve parkay flooring glue. It seems like a long job scraping all of it, needs some tips.

Reply to
Barry

You glued your floor down with margarine?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Floor sander

Reply to
m Ransley

Doesn't work. Glue softens and clogs belts. 3M has some adhesive remover that does the job, takes long (hours) contact time but surprisingly good clean up. You may have to try their web site for product number and supplier. Probably others in NG have more info. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

there is a product called "contractor solvent or De-solve it" same product, just a bunch of names on the label. Works great for desolving any type of glue that I have found. the local true value has it near me

Reply to
Mzone719

heat? blow dryer or blow-torch?

I am not a professional and I don't give professional advice. use either of these methods at your own risk.

mikey.

Barry wrote:

Reply to
EmbErna

Had a similar problem taking up an old carpet which had been glued down. I used my angle grinder with a wire brush attachment. The first session raised immense amounts of dust. I solved that by dampening the surface. It worked fine. Be sure your tool is grounded and don't use very much water...just enough of a light spray to hold down the dust. As always with a high power tool like his, wear safety glasses. It worked great. Doing it by hand would have taken hours. This way it was a matter of minutes.

Reply to
Dick Smyth

It's "Better than butter."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

:I used paint thinner and a rag. worked great for me . took the green glue :off fast

Paint thinner is one of my favorite solvents, after water, of course. It's not particularly dangerous to inhale and it's cheap and it works with surprisingly many cleanup problems. Another favorite is acetone. Again, it's not dangerous to inhale. It's more expensive and you have to be careful because it can damage a lot of plastics. Some of the other solvents out there, especially methyl ethyl ketone, lacquer thinner, contact cement thinner, etc. etc. are very dangerous to inhale, or so the labels say, and I figure I better believe the labels.

Sounds to me like the grinder idea may be the best - if it works for you.

Reply to
Horatio Hornblower