Re: Selecting Machines For A Home Shop

Page 1 of 2

All that for a home shop?
I'd have a nearly used up CNC knee mill, and a medium lathe. Throw in a bench grinder, a vice, a vertical and horizontal bandsaw, a tig welder, and a torch. With some decent tooling, that should build about anything the average farmer would need.
Yikes, how many "home shops" include a forklift and a pallet jack?
too many tools indeed...;^)
John E.

Ah....er...ahum.....
Gunner
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide" - James Burnham
On 2 Mar 2007 11:58:01 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"

Did you have a large Lottery winning. I wish I could do this. jesse
    --FWIW I suggest you consider what *not* to get and steer away from the turkey brands; i.e. Rockwell good, Sears bad, etc. Also getcher self a copy of a massive tome called "Machine Tool Reconditioning" which includes survey forms that you copy and take with you when you go to look at used machine tools: very handy that one...
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Time flies like an arrow;
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : fruit flies like a banana...

It all depends... I don't own much Sears (any more). I think just the 1/2-inch industrial drill. But I built the house with Sears, of course a good number of the tools didn't survive much longer after the house was built. Then, as I could afford it, I replaced them with better tools. But I couldn't have afforded good tools when building the house, and built the house.
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org

- dust collection and air filtering systems

- Plasma Cutter

- Pickup truck with trailer hitch.
- Trailer to haul the stuff that doesn't fit in the pickup.
- Enough land to hold the large shop to put it all in.
- The large shop to put it all in.
- A wife that understands the addiction.
--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com /
: Say you want to setup a home shop for both metal and wood : working....what older American or European machines would you choose : to populate the shop with? In a home shop environment, the size of the : work envelope can vary greatly with the work done so a number of : different candidates exist for the same function performed.

It all depends. For some standard welding, the oldest AC/DC welding machines will burn rods as good as and sometimes better than the new comparables.
However, with the new advances in MIG, TIG, and other specific types of welding, yes, the new machines are way ahead of the old ones, which were the first generation. Maybe second, or third.
One must analyze their needs with regards to welding, their quality standards, and what machine will get them there.
No need to buy a $3,000 welder when a $200 Lincoln Tombstone will do the job.
A new high line welder ......... $3,000 A new low line welder .............. $200 Knowing which one you need .......... priceless.
Steve

LOL
--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com /
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
OK, my biased selection:

An old Deckel

A Gack

Alzmetall or Flott

Weiler, Schaublin

No band saws, cold saws!

Not my Klaiber!

What comes along and isn't too cheap.

What comes along

DeWalt
EWM rulez!
Nick
--
***********************************
*** Available now in NZ and AUS ***

A "truck lift" or "lift truck" is apparently designed to lift things from the floor up to the loading height of a truck. They also call them "stackers", in another context.
Here is one example: http://www.grizzly.com/products/H6294
McMaster-Carr has a bunch of models under "lift truck".
Alan

Also be aware that forklifts have a hard time in gravel. I found that out when picking up my shipment of cherry from the UPS terminal. Their forklift got stuck in the gravel in the truck yard while attempting to load onto my pickup. The gravel was dry, the forklift was standard warehouse LP-powered with smooth rubber.
... snip
On 3 Mar 2007 18:19:24 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"

Or get into a basement shop.

Oh they can go into a basement shop ..getting them out..now there is a serious issue...<G>
Gunner
Political Correctness

Isn't that always the case?
Getting it IN is easy... <G>

Getting it in /in one piece/ and operable, with no big holes in the floor above, is almost as easy.
Some days, Mr. Gravity is not your friend. ;-P
--<< Bruce >>--
You should look into a Altendorf sliding table saw, it has a smaller footprint than a unisaw with support tables built around it, and is is very versatile.