Selecting a chuck

I am trying to decide between the Vicmarc 5 1/2", OneWay Talon, and the Super Nova2 chuck for my new lathe. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Spinney

I depends... what lathe are you going to put it on? If you new lathe is a Jet mini or Rikon midi/mini. the 5 1/2" would be a lot of metal, and certainly not needed.

Better yet, take this over to rec.crafts.woodturning and post it there if you haven't already. You will have more opinions than you can believe, all championing their favorite.

Me, I'm a VicMarc fan. I have two 3 1/2" chucks, and my oldest is about 8 - 9 years old. Still as smooth as silk after all the abuse and use that has been heaped on it. Make sure you get a chuck that 1) has a KEY, not a drill chuck style key with teeth, and 2) has the different kinds of jaws at affordable prices. You might be surprised at how you will be thinking of additional jaws for you chuck.

Spend money on the chuck and get a good one. If you are serious, don't get one that is just "servicable". A lathe chuck is truly worth dropping the dough on a good one.

I bought both of mine from Bob Gadd in Kanuckistan at a great price, and he is one of the nicest guys you will ever deal with as a vendor. I will see if I can dig out a link if you are honestly interested.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Norris. That's a real no-nonsense Chuck. Although Conners was pretty good too.

Reply to
Just Wondering

THANK YOU! I appreciate the input from each of you. I was overwhelmed with the response and appreciate the input from those of you with experience. I am going for the Vicmarc 5 1/2" unit.

Reply to
Spinney

You didn't mention the lathe it's for or how big a chunk of wood you want the chuck to hold. BIG chucks are great- for a full sized lathe especially an "outboard" lathe for turning BIG stuff. But if you've got a JET mini/midi you probably won't need HUGE gripping power.

I've got the JET mini/mid - and two SuperNova2 chucks - with most of the jaw sets. I've turned 9 1/2" diameter by 4 inch deep bowls on it and the SN2 holds 10-15 pound chunks of walnut just fine. Of course having electronic variable speed so I can start out slow, turn up the rpms 'til things start moving, then dialing back 'til it stops is quite helpful.

You will soon find that chucking up something is a LOT easier if one hand holds the wood in place while the other tightens the jaws to it, than trying to tighten the jaws with two Tommy Bars - while holding the wood. The SN2 uses a ball head allen wrench, with T-handle to tighten the jaws with just one hand, leaving the other to support the wood while tightening. Using a ball head allen wrench is better than going with a chuck key on a long handle - the former allowing you to tighten the jaws with the ball end allen wrench at odder angles than permited with a chuck key.

The acquistion of a lathe is just the down payment on the turning addiction / obsession. There are gouges and chisels to acquire, more chuck jaw sets to buy, live centers, dead centers, vacuum chucks, sharpening equiptment (edges dull fast when they're cutting the equivalent of 5 dovetailed boxes - a minute. And figure on buying rolls of sand paper strips, sticks of wax for polishing, three or four or five - or more - different "friction polishes, etc. , etc., etc.. (I still can't "etc." without thinking of Yul Brenner in The Kind and I).

The SuperNova2 is a well thought out, pretty capable chuck. You can't go wrong with getting one.

And when you do, here's something you might find useful. The chucking sequence for some pieces - like lidded boxes - is important. I know this sequence works - for me at least - and hopefully for you as well.

Get a chuck!

charlie b

ps - WARNING: There doesn't seem to be a Turners Anonymous - yet

Reply to
charlie b

Piker! Once weighed a chunk of oak I was turning on 50mm jaws just for jollies. 48 pounds soaking wet! Probably weighed eight less after wetting down the entire shop. This is a maple chunk, and the chuck that roughed it.

George