Re-sawing:

Hello all . I was thinking of getting an band saw for an special project but not sure of its capabilities. I would like to re-saw 5/16" x 4" pine paneling to 5/32" x 4" for use as skin overlay on canoes, which will have an coat of epoxy and nylon fabric. Is this possible with an bandsaw and would it be fairly accurate in dimensions? TIA.
Rey
The blade will remove about 2/32nds of material, so you'll get half of the 8/32nds or 4/32nds (1/8) at best. It will be fairly rough, so you will probably loose another 1/32 if you sand.
I'm not BS expert ;-) but those are my quick guestimates.

As long as you are not expecting to get 2 useable pieces of wood out of that 5/16th original board, then yes, you can indeed resaw to get 5/32 thick boards, but you could also accomplish this with a planner
Resawing, if properly setup, will give you the 5/32in thick piece, but the other piece (waste) will be noticeably THINNER than 5/32 due to the kerf removed by the blade
John
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 14:14:08 -0700, nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

Agreed with the two previous posters, and I'd add that to resaw material of that width, you are not going to get away with it on the cheap- Don't even look at the 9" benchtop saws for a job like that, you're going to need something with some decent capacity and power for the job. Also bear in mind that you will need a fence- not all bandsaws come with one, so keep that in mind when budgeting for it.
Just some friendly advice from a guy who bought a woefully inadequate bandsaw for resawing... :(
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

but
I resaw teak 2x4's with a bandsaw......into 3/8" thickness. No problems, if you have a serious saw.
Keep your band taught............Ken

Will lecture do, or should I make it take the lab, too?
disclaimer: I am a novice BSer (bandsaw user)
but, using the technigues given in FWW Nov/Dec 04 I can produce 1/8" or even thinner slices from a std 2x4 that are pretty consistent. This is with a jet 14" 1 HP BS. I've not tried 6 or 8 inches of hard oak, but my guess is with a slower feed it could be done. I'm happy to be able to buy std 2x4 lumber and mill my own 1/2" material for drawers, etc.

Thanks for the advice Guys much appreciated.
Rey