Re: Putting 10 lbs. of Tools In a 5 lb. Shop

Simple. It's like the Law of Conservation of Energy. It's Called Conservation of Space. Either throw out the tools that don't fit, or Build A Bigger Shop.

I'd build a bigger shop, myself. If you decide to throw stuff away, post descriptions here first. If the tools are any good, I bet some of us would pay shipping to "dispose" of them for you.

Mike Eberle> Well it is about time to do another reorganization of the ole home > shop. ;

Reply to
mikee

I am looking for suggestions as to what you have done to fit more

> tools and supplies into your personal homeshop.

I did this one years ago.

Buy a set of metal shelves about 84"-90" H as wide as practical (30"-36")

WW Grainger sell cardboard shelf boxes in bundles of 25.

You simply fold them to form a box.

They come in 2"-4"-6" widths and fit a standard 12" deep shelf.

A couple of Sharpies for labeling and you are good to go.

RULE 1:

Everything on that set of shelves MUST be in a shelf box.

RULE 2:

If in doubt, refer to RULE 1.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

When making wall cabinets, plain doors waste a lot of space. If you make the doors 3-6" deep, you can fit loads of nail and screw (and other small stuff) storage in the doors. Fit bearing hinges to take the weight, and some kind of ledge to hold the doors square when closed.

Reply to
Dave Gordon

I just listed a bunch of things with a 0.01 starting price. Besides that, any racks also help.

Ignoramus10147

Too_Many_Tools wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Acro Bins and wall plates. You can get these for cheap from Global Industrial Supply. The wall plates are simple perforated steel sheets that the bins hang from. You can make a lot of storage area in a small space. Anything you can put on the wall is a space saving deal.

Our work shop is a 16' x 26' partition of another area. In it, we have a

12' x 16' caged area that has a milling machine, a 8' Lista cabinet with overhead cabinets, 2 - 3'w x 8' roll-around stand-up parts cabinets, a 5'w roll around Lista parts cabinet, a stationary Lista mill tooling cabinet, a 3' bolt/nut/screw cabinet, a laptop roll around cart, and every free space of wall to a height of 7' has the acro bins and wall plates with all of the pneumatic fittings and other odds and ends, even the area between the big Lista bench top and the upper cabinets is full of mounted acro bins. Outside of the caged area is where we do machine building, and this area currently has a new full-sized 3 axis CNC VMC we are automating, a 6 axis robot, a 6' lista work bench, a ladder/work platform storage area, an automatic parts washer and 5 roll-away tool boxes. And we still have room to work. Even the caged wall is used for storage, we attached extrusion to it, and use it to store completed sub- assemblies, hoses, cables, tools, paperwork racks, aluminum stock, etc. Keeping the floor clean and uncluttered is a key. Having hose and power reels mounted high on the wall/ceiling is important for uncluttering.
Reply to
Anthony

I agree with shelves and boxes except I use plastic boxes with lids and keep them in a shed. Carry what I need to the shop.

Reply to
Pat

You only need working space for the tool that you are working with. Put as much equipment around the perimeter of the room and put all heavy machinery on mobile bases.

Reply to
Leon

doors 3-6" deep, you can

doors square when closed.

- When making wall cabinets, plain doors waste a lot of space.

I know it's just semantics, but that statement doesn't really make sense, at least to me. While building small-item storage into the doors is a neat idea, you haven't really saved any space have you?

The front of your 3-6" deep doors are just as thick as your plain doors, so the 3-6" had to be subtracted from or added to the orignal depth of the cabinet, right?

Granted, having the small items stored in the door makes them easily accessible and probably more organized, so I do like the idea.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"DerbyDad03" wrote: (clip)While building small-item storage into the doors is a neat idea, you haven't really saved any space have you? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Would you be happier if he had said he was creating more "frontage?" :-)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote: (clip) I am looking for suggestions as to what you have done to fit more tools and supplies into your personal homeshop.(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have 5 gallon buckets hanging from pulleys in my garage/shop. I also have a scrollsaw hangingup there. To give you an idea how short of space I am, the scrollsaw goes on top of the washing machine when I need to use it.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

All infeed, outfeed, and fence tables become cabinets. Lot's of storage space availale if you do that.

Infeed and outfeed for RAS or miter saw can also be infeed and outfeed for portable planer by building in a "plug" that allows the planer to be recessed at feed level.

Peg board your walls.

Wood storage racks above the tools on the walls.

And, of course, everything on a mobile base that does not have a permanent infeed and outfeed.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

The mobile bases should be storage cabinets for heavy stuff so the machine isn't top-heavy.

Several of my machines are mounted on opposite sides of flip-top tables if they might be used alternately on the same job; planer + jointer, 8" table saw + belt sander, sheet metal shear + corner notcher. The base cabinet contains all tools and accessories.

On the lighter machine stands the casters are on narrow hinged boards which can be flipped out with a toe to put the machine solidly on the floor. It works better if each board has one swivel and one fixed caster, aligned such that it doesn't roll away when you lift each side to flip the board.

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

doors 3-6" deep, you

doors square when closed.

In my own case I made the cabinet doors 6 inches deep in addition to the cabinet

12 inches deep. The dimensions came from the sizes of some scrap wood I had. Yeah it sticks out more into the workshop, but its over a kitchen-style workbench against the wall so it doesn't really consume any usable space anyway. The doors were fairly rigid, but still sag under the weight, so I added a couple of ledgers at the bottom, that support the doors when they are closed. Ball bearing hinges were the best part of the design though. I would definately recommend them. .
Reply to
Dave Gordon

is a neat idea, you

Hmmm. Unless you store the items in the Twilight Zone, they will always use some space. Just depends on whether its wasted space, or whether it will get in the way of other things.

Reply to
Dave Gordon

much equipment around

Assuming you have a smooth flat floor.

Reply to
Dave Gordon

Paint the place off-white. If it can't be spacious, at least it can look and feel spacious.

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

On Sep 9, 10:04 am, "Dave Gordon" wrote: ...put all heavy machinery on mobile bases.

If not, just use bigger castors. I usually work outdoors with the machines on a sloping, uneven asphalt driveway or the flatter ground beside it. Any machine that requires side forces like a table saw has retractable landing gear (see other post) and I kick shims under it to stop wobble. The 4X6 bandsaw is on lawnmower wheels. I put rubber door stop wedges under the casters to keep the welders from rolling and let the heavier sheet metal machine stand rest against the tailgate of the pickup truck.

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Sat, Sep 8, 2007, 6:41pm (EDT-3) too_many snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Too_Many_Tools) wands advice: Well it is about time to do another reorganization of the ole home shop. ;

Reply to
J T

Can we assume that you're talking hand tools and such, not floor tools?

I relieve clutter with lots of drawers and pegboard.. I used to use shelves but limit that now because they attract more clutter..

A future project will be a set of shallow cabinets over the bench with doors made up of 2x1's and skinned on both sides with pegboard, with shallow shelves inside for those "where do I put these?"items that get in the way on the bench but seem to be needed within arm's reach..

If you have enough ceiling height, placing things like DC, compressor, planer, etc. on 12" or higher cabinets can store a LOT of stuff, also..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis