Re: OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

They're filed next to the square ones. On the shelf below the "one-its", and above the "three-its".

*chortle*
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

The majority of my fathers side of the family smoke. None have died from anything related to it. My grandfather died at age 78 from totally natural causes. He smoked since age 8. Grew up on a tobacco farm.

Reply to
CW

"Silvan" wrote

Sure,

$18.00 per pound (about 160 of the little buggers).

HTH

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Well, it's obviously partially genetic and some are more susceptible than others. But, in no case can it be good for you.

My dad died the night before Thanksgiving, of some kind of obstructive lung condition (can't read the doc's writing). Near the end, he was on 10 litres of oxygen and still wasn't doing well breathing. He'd had problems for a while, and they kept getting worse. Not on oxygen, but had he made it home, that was probably in the cards.

83 years old, a nice ripe age as folks kept telling me. Problem was, his side of the family tended to live to near 100. Heavy smoker since way back from unfiltered camels to more tame marlboros of late. Tapered down from his prolly 3 packs a day, and in fact he quit several times, but always started up again.

So, no you don't always get lung cancer from cigarettes, but there's a lot of other gotchas just waiting for ya.

Renata

smart, not dumb for email

Reply to
Renata

Hell, my mother's father grew tobacco, and died of a kick in the head by a mule, when he was about 72.

So what?

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

That and every other thing on the planet. You could always be a Howard Hughes. See how far that gets you.

Reply to
CW

OK, well, I've looked, and I can't find any tuits at all. Does the BORG carry them, or do I have to do mail order?

Reply to
Silvan

LMAO!! I should buy some of those just for their value as gag gifts. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Do you have any teeth?

Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

As I understand it, they're on back-order.

That means they won't be on display, _until_ they get

{wait for it}

{just a little more}

{just a little more}

a round toit.

{*groan*}

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

*THWHACK*
Reply to
Silvan

You don't need to outlaw it for that result to occur. Just keep raising the price with taxes. I wonder how much cigarette smuggling (state-to- state) has increased in the last few years?

I live near the ID-WA border. When I smoked, I always went to ID to buy them. If I'd been willing to drive a little further I could have bought them at an Indian reservation and saved even more. But the revenuers watched for WA license plates at the rez :-).

There is no crime that outrages a government more than tax evasion :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Don't have the cite at hand, but apparently a recent study by the WHO determined that second-hand smoke had no measurable affect on mortality. This study was not widely publicized because its results do not support the WHO agenda or goals.

Nor do I, and I don't like being around smoke. The implementation of smoke-free workplaces, IMO, is simply making things much more civilized for those who don't smoke. OTOH, the extremes to which the anti-smoking folks have taken this crusade are disconcerting.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

How about some on the second-hand smoke? And not "so many deaths per year", but a percentage of risk increase related to exposure time.

I've only seen one such set of numbers and that was many years ago. I have no idea how accurate the numbers were. But, IIRC, according to them, exposure to second-hand smoke in an office environment over a working life of 40 years increased your chances of getting lung cancer by one in 10,000. BFD!

I don't remember any numbers on the increase in risk for other smoking- related diseases, but I'd expect them to be lower than the lung cancer risks.

And, as I've said before, I don't smoke.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Was that the Bre'r Rabbit series?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Another errant thought. When I could still count my age on my fingers, my favorite books were a series of "Uncle Wiggily" books about a kindly old rabbit. Anyone else remember those?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

When a six pack of Bud costs $15 let me know.

Reply to
Cape Cod Bob

You betcha. Uncle Wiggly and his housekeeper, Nurse Jane Fuzzy-Wuzzy. Don't remember what sort of critter she was, though. Muskrat, maybe? And of course his two nemeses, the Skeezics and the Pipseseewah, who were always scheming to do him in.

My grandparents had the entire series. My cousins and I grew up reading those stories. Loved 'em. I wonder if they're still in print.

Doug Miller