Re: OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

Alcohol isn't the problem there, it's irresponsibility. Aided and abetted by a comprehensive failure of society to treat drunken driving as the serious crime that it is. Drunken driving isn't nearly the problem in Europe that it is in the US, largely because the legal system here treats it as a minor offense.

Oh, you mean those densely populated grain-producing states like Nebraska, Kansas, and the Dakotas?

Maybe you ought to count them yourself. You might be surprised. While you're at it, you might want to check which states grow tobacco, since you apparently don't know that the list includes Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.

Have you ever heard of emphysema and lung cancer?

Check the statistics, and see what kills the most people.

[snip]

Doesn't even come _close_ to the damage caused by tobacco. Look it up yourself. I'm not going to do your research for you.

Doug Miller

Cape Cod Bob responds:

Respond to what I wrote, not someone else's response to you.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

JOAT notes:

Just reinforces my point: bans on alcohol don't work, probably can't work. As someone else noted, many things are invented by a single society, but in the case of booze, some version or other has been invented by every society we've ever uncovered.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

Your memory is better than mine. I'd forgotten the rest of the characters.

I also had the complete set. Gave them to my kids, then got divorced. After many years of no contact, I recently asked one of them if she had the books - she didn't even remember them.

And I don't think they are in print, but there is a rock band named Uncle Wiggily :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Nope - completely different.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

It's been said that prostitution is the worlds second oldest profession - brewer was first. I wouldn't be surprised - our ancestors were undoubtedly drinking alcohol before rape became a crime and sex was restricted :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Lee Harkness Texas Certified Concealed Handgun Instructor
snipped-for-privacy@CHL-TX.com Low-cost Domain Registration and Hosting!

Howard

I beg to differ. I once had the guy at the next urinal piss on my shoe.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

It's pretty damn easy to grow pot, too. The gov't goes to some pretty extreme levels to try to catch people growing a little pot in the house. They go so far as to use thermal scanners to look for grow lights or check your utility company for excessive electricity usage. So if they ever again criminalize booze, nothing as meaningless as the Constitution will keep them out of your house if the dogs smell the still or you buy too many grapes.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Yeah, even my *grandmother* makes booze. Wine for her church. She doesn't otherwise drink. Never has in 80-something years.

Reply to
Silvan

About every ten years these quizes float around. Almost word for word. George

Reply to
George G

It's legal to make up to 200 gallonos of wine for your own use. Used to have an Italian landlord who did that: I had the basement apartment; he made wine in the other end; you could get drunk walking down the hall, it almost seemed. Great stuff. This guy was a delight. Hardest working man I've ever know. By the time I left Albany, he'd gone from one 4 story apartment building to being rich. Worked as a laborer when he first got here.

Charlie Self "I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house." Zsa Zsa Gabor

Charlie Self

Score = 100

I'm just plain dirty.

It is kind of surprising how often that works out. Hard work and *enormous* risks I guess. I'm risk-averse, which makes me a very lousy entrepeneur. I go for the sure thing every time, and the sure thing is always the option that pays the least.

Reply to
Silvan

Yeah, but that washes off easier than the stench of cigarette smoke does.

Doug Miller

Reminds of the times when I was young, stupid and single. Hang out in honky tonks. Go in the john and be damned glad you were wearing high heeled boots--and wish the soles were thicker.

Charlie Self "I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house." Zsa Zsa Gabor

Charlie Self

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I don't find that making it any less enjoyable.

JOAT

The advantage of getting old is two fold.

  1. You score high because you remember all the items listed.
  2. You don't remember that you just read this last week. Ed
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You should have tried the *ladies* room.

I used to think women were neater until I worked in a honky tonk. Sure, the men's room would have newspapers stuck to the floor with piss, but that was

*nothing*.

The women used to break into the cabinet under the sink so they could get the toilet paper out, then they'd flush the whole roll, back everything up. They did this on purpose, and they did this *often*.

Nothing like wading into a sea of... Well, just use your imagination.

There were a couple of times when I took the mop back to the boss and told him he could do it himself, and I didn't give a damn if he fired me.

He never fired me.

Drunk women are NASTY!

Reply to
Silvan

Yeah, well. When I was even younger, I worked in a service station/garage, and I was the guy whoo got to clean the restrooms. Always had to work up my nerve to even go in the ladies' room after my second week. I won't describe it, because nearly 50 years later, it can make me gag.

No rhyme, no reason, but nasty.

Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self