Re: OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

Nice thread, JOAT. In the book "Tuesdays with Morrie" a young man meets regularly with a former mentor of his who is dying. At one point he asks Morrie whether he misses being able to do many of the old things. Morrie replies that he doesn't, because he has done so much and remembers it well. The memories are important, of course, but the doing of the old things the first time makes for a rich life. This is one very big reason why I am a woodworker: the memories have substance.

Bob

Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about! Ratings at the bottom.

  1. Blackjack chewing gum
  2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
  3. Candy cigarettes
  4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles 5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes 6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
  5. Party lines
  6. Newsreels before the movie
  7. P.F. Flyers
  8. Butch wax
  9. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive-6933)
  10. Peashooters
  11. Howdy Doody
  12. 45 RPM records
  13. S&H Green Stamps
  14. Hi-fi's
  15. Metal ice trays with lever
  16. Mimeograph paper
  17. Blue flashbulb
  18. Packards
  19. Roller skate keys
  20. Cork popguns
  21. Drive-ins
  22. Studebakers
  23. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered! 0-5 = You're still young If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age, If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

JOAT Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

- Sir Winston Churchill

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 29 Dec 2003. Some tunes I like.

Bob Schmall

Hell, the first car I stole was a Studebaker.

The first phone number I remember was my grandparents in 1949, "0384", eight party line without a prefix. The only thing on the list I wasn't familiar with was BlackJack chewing gum ... as a fledging and debonair bon vivant, I only chewed Double Bubble.

I personally can't wait to get to 65, five more years, so I can get some property tax relief.

Reply to
Swingman

Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about! Ratings at the bottom.

If you remembered! 0-5 = You're still young If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age, If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

13 for me, and I'm only 33. Damn. Of course, a lot of that was still around in the early 70's when I was a kid.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

Swingman responds:

I think here, too. I'll have to check. I know in VA, I get a $12,000 exemption for living this long. Good reason to report next year's income from there!

Charlie Self

Charlie Self

I got a 12.

Remember? Hell, we still *have* a drive-in. Well, maybe not. Mr. Beasley is looking pretty tired, and there are rumors that he might not re-open in the spring. I'm still hoping. We go to the drive-in every time there's a movie I can take my kids to, which is increasingly rare these days. Food and a flick for four for less than $20. Can't beat it with a stick.

We still have drive-in restaurants too, with people on roller skates even.

Reply to
Silvan

Twelve cents if you bought Marvels or Avalons (not sure about that 2nd name).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yeah, I got 22 of them also, and I'm not sure that the other three aren't victims of CRS.

That's one I don't ever remember seeing, but have heard of it. What surprised me about 4 or 5 years ago was I actually saw candy cigarettes in the checkout line at the grocery store!

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

Reply to
Lazarus Long
25 for 25!! Anybody older?

-- In golf, it's not the score that counts--it's the company!

Reply to
Bob

In the late 30's they were $1.50/carton of ten.

Remove TIE to reply.

Reply to
Bill Reynolds

Bill, you aren't from Kentucky by any chance are you?

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Anderson Indiana

Remove TIE to reply.

Reply to
Bill Reynolds

(Crying dejectedly) I remember em all, and know where to still get some of them.

David Babcock

Someone (Richard Armore (sp?)??) wrote (more or less ):

"We call them the 'Good Old Days' because we weren't good, we weren't old, and we're talking about the nights."

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Good grief. They were like $1.50 when I started smoking. Almost $3 now. A lot more than $3 in some places. I see some stores in far-off points advertising $40 a carton like it was a bargain.

When VA does the 75-cents-a-pack tax hike, that's it. I've made up my mind. No damn way I'm paying $35 a carton to give myself emphyszema.

It's gonna be soooooo hard to roll off those boring midnight miles without my smokes though. I'll probably gain 250 pounds.

Reply to
Silvan

I am 44, an I remember 24 of them! 43/44 must be a major transition age! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

There's one on Cape Cod (Wellfleet Mass) that show TWO first run movies.

Reply to
Cape Cod Bob

And don't forget Spike Jones and Benny Goodman. I had a collection of old 45's (45s for those who don't believe in such punctuation) and an RCA 45 changer, and a homemade monaural tube amp. There was also a piano player, I forgot his name, that played Autumn Leaves. Wish I still had them...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Is Bull Durham still around? In high school in the 1970's I used to do a lot of roll-ur-own.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Ah yes, Spike Jones. Use to get a great laugh at his "playing around".

By the way, Autumn Leaves was Johnny Mercer.

Roy

Reply to
Roy Neudecker