Re: OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

Page 1 of 8

What if I remember all of them, and used or owned most? What is older than "older than dirt?"

The guy who named dirt
Okay "T" I remember all of them, but just watch out with that old shit.<G> I also remember when Cigarettes was 23 cents a pack and when you got them in a vending machine you dropped in a quarter and the two cents was inside the cellophane wrapper. That was when two cents was worth something George
My mother sent me this a few days back. And, I can remembember every damn thing on the quiz. What the Hell happened? I shouldn't even be 30 yet. Damn.
Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about! Ratings at the bottom.
1. Blackjack chewing gum 2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water 3. Candy cigarettes 4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles 5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes 6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers 7. Party lines 8. Newsreels before the movie 9. P.F. Flyers 10. Butch wax 11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive-6933) 12. Peashooters 13. Howdy Doody 14. 45 RPM records 15. S&H Green Stamps 16. Hi-fi's 17. Metal ice trays with lever 18. Mimeograph paper 19. Blue flashbulb 20. Packards 21. Roller skate keys 22. Cork popguns 23. Drive-ins 24. Studebakers 25. Wash tub wringers
If you remembered! 0-5 = You're still young If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older If you remembered 11-15 Don't tell your age, If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!
JOAT Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. - Sir Winston Churchill
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 29 Dec 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:29:54 -0700, George M. Kazaka wrote:

I remember that - in IBM class in Endicott, NY in 1966. The classroom was "smokin' as about 95% was puffin'
-Doug
George Kazaka writes:

A few years before that...my father sent me down to get a pack of Luckies, and gave me 2 dimes. No pennies in the pack coming back and he got angry, thought I'd swiped them. I was maybe 9-10 (long before PC howls about younger than 18 or whatever buying butts). I didn't see anotehr 18 cent pack of cigarets again until I got to Parris Island's PX.
Charlie Self
Charlie Self wrote:

Good grief. They were like $1.50 when I started smoking. Almost $3 now. A lot more than $3 in some places. I see some stores in far-off points advertising $40 a carton like it was a bargain.
When VA does the 75-cents-a-pack tax hike, that's it. I've made up my mind. No damn way I'm paying $35 a carton to give myself emphyszema.
It's gonna be soooooo hard to roll off those boring midnight miles without my smokes though. I'll probably gain 250 pounds.
Silvan wrote:

Is Bull Durham still around? In high school in the 1970's I used to do a lot of roll-ur-own.
-- Mark
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 06:29:36 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

I did some roll-your-own in college in the 70's but mostly it wasn't tobacco. -- jc Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection. If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net

As "chaw", definitely. for cigarettes, I dunno.
Silvan writes:

Probably. I gained more weight than I ever thought possible. I seem to have stabilized now, about 90 pound above my "normal" weight.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
Charlie Self wrote:

Die from a heart attack from all the weight, or die from emphyzema... Bleah.
You actually have emphyzema now don't you? Aren't you the quit smoking and buy a damn dust mask poster boy? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Silvan writes:

Someone else. I got a lot wrong with me--ask my first wife--but not emphysema (yet). I smoked so heavily for so long that if there's no more penalty than the pounds, I'll be way, way ahead of the game. The evening I quit, I finished almost 4 packs of cigarets for the day, and that was not far above the norm. Even at 90 cents a pack, that was getting costly.
But I sometimes remember to wear hearing protection and a dust mask.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

When I quit 12 years ago I was easily spending $1500/year on cigarettes ... that's a nice annual tool budget.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03
Swingman wrote:

I hope you come through that OK, Charlie. Some people die of lung cancer at 50 without ever lighting a butt, and other people smoke five packs a day until age 103. You just never really know. I personally think the risk is blown way out of proportion, but then as an active smoker, and a young man besides, you'd expect me to think that. :)

I figure I'm spending $1,000. A nice budget, but OTOH if SWMBO doesn't have to buy me my cigarettes, will I ever actually *see* the $20 a week I'm saving?
Probably not. It will end up getting funneled into stupid useless pieces of shiny metal and rock more than likely. One sad but true reason why I haven't gotten around to quitting the damn things yet.
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 02:18:57 -0500, Silvan wrote:

My Grandpappy smoked unfiltered Camels till his dying day at 86 years of age from prostate cancer. My Pappy never smoked and died at 89 years of age from colon cancer. My mom smoked for about 30 years, then quit. She's still going (though rather slowly) at age 91. You just never know, but smoking can't be good for you. I smoked for 30+ years before quiting and don't have any detectable health problems - yet.
-Doug
Doug Winterburn wrote:

The most important health decision you make is choosing your parents. ;-)
-- Mark
"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message

My paternal grandfather, who INHALED Prince Albert pipe tobacco through a pipe for almost 80 years, was forced by the doctor's to quit smoking at 93, then died five years later of cancer. I smoked for 30 years, and quit 12 years ago ... a little voice in the back of my head, which kept getting louder and louder as time went by, left NO doubt it was the thing to do.
Just got over a serious lung infection, missed almost two months in the shop as a result, and wonder just how much my smoking made me suspectible to it in the first place.
While it isn't any of my business, my tendency is to say: "Quit smoking Michael! ... put the money saved into wood/tools and do your _future_ health a big favor to boot."
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03
Swingman writes:

Good advice. None of my business either, but think of how much better you, your house, your clothing will smell, and how many fewer holes you'll have in clothing, upholstery, etc.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
Charlie, I never really got above a pack, or so, a day. Unfiltered Camels, or Lucky Strikes {isn't *that* name ironic !!}. Any more than that and my chest would 'get tight'.
Although my MIL 'smoked like a chimney', none of her three kids would say or do anything. After we got married, Joanne had her own 'way' of pushing the issue. If I started to smoke when we were driving in the car, she would roll down her window, wrap a scarf {handkerchief, etc.}around her face, and lean next to it . . . NO MATTER what the weather !!
Cold, Hot, Wet, Snow . . . crap flying all around . . . no matter. For a shicksa, she sure learned how to use the Jewish 'Guild Offense' in short order !!
It's been so long, I can't remember the last time I had a cigarette. But every time one of those 'Stop Smoking' spots come on . . . the feeling comes into my head to go out and buy a pack of 'Luckies'. Joanne says it's just because I'm, 'Contrary & Ornery'.
SNIP

Ron Magen notes:

Could be. I always swore I'd never be one of those PITA ex-smokers. I've got a couple friends like that, they panic and sweep their hands through the air when someone lights up near them, and so on. But the longer I'm off the butts, the less I can stand being around them, and the more I feel they are ruinous, both fiscally and physically.
So I get to be a PITA. But I still abhor those damned anti-smoking crusade ads.
Luckies and Camels. I started on Viceroys, graduated to Camels, changed to Luckies when I got out of the Marines. I was still smoking Luckies when I finally quit. Makes me wonder how many bucks I made for the various governments taxing those things.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker