Re: OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

My mother sent me this a few days back. And, I can remembember

> every damn thing on the quiz. What the Hell happened? I shouldn't even > be 30 yet. Damn.

>    If you remembered! 0-5 = You're still young    If you > remembered 6-10 = You are getting older    If you remembered 11-15 = > Don't tell your age,    If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than > dirt!

What if I remember all of them, and used or owned most? What is older than "older than dirt?"

Reply to
Bob Haar

The guy who named dirt

Reply to
RPRESHONG

I remember that - in IBM class in Endicott, NY in 1966. The classroom was "smokin' as about 95% was puffin'

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about! Ratings at the bottom.

  1. Blackjack chewing gum
  2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
  3. Candy cigarettes
  4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles 5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes 6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
  5. Party lines
  6. Newsreels before the movie
  7. P.F. Flyers
  8. Butch wax
  9. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive-6933)
  10. Peashooters
  11. Howdy Doody
  12. 45 RPM records
  13. S&H Green Stamps
  14. Hi-fi's
  15. Metal ice trays with lever
  16. Mimeograph paper
  17. Blue flashbulb
  18. Packards
  19. Roller skate keys
  20. Cork popguns
  21. Drive-ins
  22. Studebakers
  23. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered! 0-5 = You're still young If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age, If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

JOAT Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

- Sir Winston Churchill

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 29 Dec 2003. Some tunes I like.

George M. Kazaka

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:41:58 -0500 (EST), T.'s fingers viciously stabbed at an innocent keyboard to form the now famous if slightly awkward haiku:

WOW, I remember 13 and I'm only 43 years young.

If you can't remember what you remember you're older than that

Reply to
Mowgli

Hell, I remember them all and personally experienced 19 of them. I'm only 46. Like everything else around me, dirt is getting younger every year ;)

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Up yours. Now go back to posting plans for us.

Just kidding of course, but this was a bad test. How can 47 be older than dirt? I'm in the middle of my mid-life crisis and you bring this up...

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Hey Larry, I'm 46 and considering having a mid-life crisis. Problem is, I don't really think I'll live to 92 so I'm afraid I'm too late ;)

Dave

Reply to
David Hall

Shoot, I remember 10 1/2 and I'm just a 33 year-old baby. Maybe I have an old soul?

-Joe

Reply to
Joe Wells

#3-- a pack in my desk right now #7-- presume you mean telephone, two rings. #14--in the closet #16--in the storage shed #18--that's not old, I remember helping my mother make copies using pans of geletain #19--package in the drawer, little ones, number 5s, #11 clear #22--still have my first one #23--there are still drive-ins #25--you mean with a motor? That came later. We had to turn ours by hand because we had no eletricity.

#11 is a no. Didn't have a telephone at our house until I was in the 7th grade and they didn't use words.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Yeh me too. Depressing aint it?

And you can qualify for the older than older than dirt medal if you can remember

Penicillan when it came as a huge yellow pill big enough to choke a horse.

Gasoline, sugar and tire rationing.

That purple salve used to treat wounds on animals.

The taste of the soybean meal normally reserved for the ol' milk cow.

The night Glen Miller came to town.

Reply to
LP

A few years before that...my father sent me down to get a pack of Luckies, and gave me 2 dimes. No pennies in the pack coming back and he got angry, thought I'd swiped them. I was maybe 9-10 (long before PC howls about younger than 18 or whatever buying butts). I didn't see anotehr 18 cent pack of cigarets again until I got to Parris Island's PX.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self

Mowgli responds:

I'll trade any day. Your real shock comes when you realize your kids are getting gray hairs and facial lines.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self

Had mine. Lasted from 27 to 47. All during my first marriage.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self

Hey, I resent that. I'm only 45 and I remember ALL of them.. Had most of that stuff in our home, and we drove a Studebaker. I even remember the phone number, Hemlock 5-4093.

45 is NOT older than dirt, 66 is.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Ah, the good old days!!!

What about Glenn Miller, the Ink Spots and Skitch Henderson's Band? Now don't get me going.

Was watching a move the other day that brought tears to my eyes all over again. It was about a Dish type TV antenna in Wells that was used for Apollo 11's moon landing pictures. I was one of those glued to every picture. Not that long ago. But boy was I proud to be alive to see that.

Roy

Reply to
Roy Neudecker

I remember when 45's were the new fad and not likely to replace 78's.

When I placed my first phone call I was five. I cranked the handle and told the operator, "Rosalie, I want to talk to Mama." She rang my father's grocery store, where my mother had gone for a few minutes..

We didn't have dirt until I was about ten. Who knew it would get to be a big thing?

Lionel

[...]

Greg G responds:

Hell, my first car WAS a Studebaker. Traded it on a new '57 Chevy convertible...first year of the 283s.

I haven't got a clue what my phone number was back then, but it did have a name instead of numbers.

I can wait until next year to be older than dirt (66), but I recalled all the blinking items and owned a bunch of them, even gulped down the colored water in the wax bottles--and chewed the wax.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self

Oh my God, 22! I am older than dirt.

BTW, I saw BlackJack gum in the store just yesterday. It's baaaaaack!

Glen

[...]

I have the Ink Spots and Glenn Miller on old 78s. The still sound lousy.

Glen

Reply to
Glen