Re: OT - Is it really worth saving any more?

Page 8 of 13

In a firearm troll thread? ;) Fer sure not at all required, but always welcome for the difficulty points.

Just when I thought you couldn't get any lower...

Yes, there is indeed a difference: you can (and from some of the comments you've made about your own health issues, probably *do*) receive much more back from that program than you put into it. I, on the other hand, get what I pay for, and no more -- and if what I *want* is more than I can afford, I'm *not* expecting my fellow citizens to pick up the tab for the difference. Is that so hard to comprehend?

And therefore (in your opinion) shouldn't be allowed to have one. Thus depriving him of the means of defending himself.

No, I think it's a question of philosophical differences between you and me, and, by extension, between typical Canadians and typical Americans (if there is such a thing, on either side of the border). We don't trust our government to do what's in our interests -- including protecting us from predators. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Because most of us are realistic enough to understand that a handgun is sufficient for personal self-defense. Perhaps if you had any experience with firearms, you'd understand that too.

with
So now you're going to be patronizing? I've had and have considerable experience with firearms, rifles, target rifles and hand guns. I've also owned all three at one time or another including having a transport permit to take the hand guns to the gun range. 22-250 target rifle, Colt 45 hand gun, browning challenger 22 and a few other odds and ends. I have not had nor ever desire to have a concealed carry permit, something that is exceeding difficult to get in Canada.
Perhaps that's not sufficient for what you consider experience, but if that's the case I pity you for thinking more experience than that is needed. Don't for one second let your arrogance make you look like a fool Doug.

Pardon me if I allow my skepticism to show...

*Those* claims, on the other hand, I believe without reservation.

So if you really have that level of experience with firearms, why would you imagine that anyone wants or needs a "sub machine gun ... or a bazooka in the trunk" (your words, not mine) for personal self defense?

Then you are a fool. Let me ask you. What if I was able to prove some of it to your satisfaction? What would it do to this discussion?

you
the
You're so gung ho about self protection. If everybody has a gun, then why haven't you ramped up your protection to outdo everybody else? That's partly why I asked the question and also because it *was* a ridiculous question to ask. Of course, you bit on it right away.

To the contrary, I would be a fool if I accepted at face value the claims of someone as rabidly anti-gun as yourself to be a gun owner with extensive shooting experience. To put it bluntly, I think you're lying about that.

That ought to be interesting...

All the more reason why I think you're lying about having, or knowing anything about, guns. You clearly don't understand the concepts involved.

So you only said that for "effect". Riiiiiiiiight.

anything
I'll tell you what I want if you're proven wrong. I want you to publicly apologize to me for thinking I was lying and admit you're a fool for thinking so. Nothing less, nothing more. What would you want in return if I don't offer that proof? How about it big man, put yourself on the line. I'm willing to. This is going to be fun. One person would trust is Robatoy. He makes the occasional trip to Toronto. Him I would agree to meet. What it if he agrees to be arbiter?
You said this would be interesting, take it one step further. I ask you again. What would it take to prove otherwise while maintaining a certain level of my privacy?
wrote in message

Speaking only for myself, and presuming others might feel the same, it isn't worth even the crust on my one day old PBJ sandwich. It might be worth something to you, however, as your earlier "ramp up" escalation comment makes you look churlish, foolish, and ill informed.

You've got to be kidding. He's clinically insane.

Uh-oh. That'd be libel. Expect some paperwork on that soon. You're about to find out how well connected I am south of the border.

Yeah, but he's Canadian. That puts him miles above someone like you.

There you go again, unable to debate *anything* without descending to personal insults directed at your opponent.
Grow up.

personal
Well then, I'll call you another name. You're a hypocrite. Truly, your presumed arrogance is overwhelming. You feel free to throw an insult in Robatoy's direction but immediately jump on me for doing the same to you. You're living in an immature child's fantasy world where you feel free to do as you please but cry like a baby when someone does it to you.
Grow up? Try looking in the mirror for once in your life, you little baby.

of
Something you said made me think a bit and I'm come to the conclusion that you don't understand fully what I've trying to say. Perhaps it's partly the cause of the friction between us. I'm not "anti-gun". I'm anti-everybody having a gun and the average citizen being able to get a carry permit. There's a big difference between the first and the second as far as I'm concerned.
Does that make any sense to you? Owning a gun comes with a significant sense of responsibility. Your firearms laws negate any real responsibility.
One other thing. I don't cheat and I don't lie. As far as you accepting anything at face value, that's up to you, but you'd be 100% wrong in this case.

Give it up. NObody has EVER been able to make Miller see anything other than his own (often wrong) viewpoints. You, my friend, are wasting your time. I'd put him close to par with Timbo The Hot Air- inflatable Clown.
Robatoy wrote:

You honor me deeply by association with one of the few clear thinkers in this blabfest. And its good to know that I bug you enough that you feel the need to invent pet names of aggravation. Game ... set ... match (as always).

Dream on, Fuckface. It is YOU who is infatuated with ME. Now go play with somebody else. I have very little time for you.
Upscale wrote:

Another manifestation of the "I Know What's Good For Everybody Else" syndrome. "Everybody" cannot get a gun in the US, nor can "Everyone" carry - concealed or otherwise. But it's convenient to prop up these ideological strawmen in the face of contrary facts - stunning coming from someone who does not "cheat {or] lie". But, as always, you and yours love your self anointed role as Saviors Of Mankind and *you* of course should get to decide just who fits into what category. It's precisely because of the liberty robbers with that attitude that the US Framers made personal gun ownership an explicitly protected right.

The latter statement is absurd on its face and can only be uttered by someone with a complete lack of (or completely sophomoric) understanding of US laws, how power is divided between states and the Fed government, and just what firearms laws are in place in the US. To legally purchase a firearm in the US, you are under Federal, State, and sometimes local government scrutiny. Ditto purchasing ammo. If and when you discharge the weapon - whether in a range or at an intruder - you are once again under the supervision, and potentially the lockup of the state and local authorities respectively. Lethal force is legal in the US in only the narrowest of circumstances - defense of life and/or property, and even these vary considerably by State.
Then again, crimes tend to be committed by ... criminals ... for whom no amount of law makes much difference.

You support theft - we established that long ago in your vigorous defense of taking from some citizens and giving to others. This is a kind of cheating.
I can't speak to the lying issue - you seem truthful enough, however utterly wrong you are on most issues.

...the *laws* don't negate responsibility, the criminal part of our culture does. The *laws* are fine as written, the problem is in the enforcement. You're still on the arrogant side...you consider the "average" citizen to be pretty far down on the evolutionary scale, apparently. What *is* average?
cg