Is there Really any Free Plans?

I was looking around google today for free Mission Style Bed Plans and a ton of sites come up but none are free. Anyone know of any? It's not that I'm to cheap to go buy one but I'd like to get a starting point and make my own edits to it.

Reply to
Evodawg

Do what I did for our bathroom vanity. Find what you like in a store, photograph it and measure, measure, measure, measure it. Then come home and draw your own plans with your modifications included. That way you will be fairly sure of what it will look like before you start making sawdust.

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I did about the same thing when designing the entertainment center except I shopped online and then scaled to fit the space. Ikea was about the only place I could find what I was remotely thinking of and even then it was redesigned to my taste. Most places though have the measurements listed on the site, if not e-mail them what you are looking for.

Photographing can be tricky in some stores. We were at one store and found a cabinet we liked (and some of the inspiration) and I took out my wife's phone to take some pictures. The owner of the store started yelling that we couldn't do that. His loss as we canceled the $2000 order for a sofa,recliner, and loveseat we placed 5 minutes before. Even the saleswoman was mad over that as she was stunned at his behavior. No wonder the place is out of business now. The store we ended up at let us take all of the pictures we wanted but for the same furniture we bought before we spent $50 more.

Allen

Reply to
allen476

You should look into the book "Beds" by Jeff Miller. Lots of good design ideas in a variety of styles that you can modify to your hearts content.

best,

jc

Reply to
Joe

You could always email JOAT.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

If you use Sketchup and go to the warehouse there are countless, more than you can count woodworking drawings. If you are not using Sketchup you should be.

Reply to
Leon

And read the reply in the 'nuclear' thread ...

Reply to
LDosser

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:37:27 -0800, the infamous Evodawg scrawled the following:

sole free Mission bed on the Web.

I never understood anything but headboards. I like to sit on the end of my bed, fall onto it from any angle, etc. I don't want a footboard or tall sides to knock my ankles on, stub my toes on, y'know?

-- In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it. -- John Ruskin, Pre-Raphaelitism, 1850

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Looks like the plan from Woodsmith that I built. A fun project.

Yes, I have to take care not to slam my thigh into the footboard while walking around in the dark, but I think it's worth it.

Reply to
Scott Zrubek

Yes I saw that one, nice pictures but little of anything else. Guess I can make my own plans from the pics and what I like and don't like.

Reply to
Evodawg

What I do is Google the end product, not plans using Google Images. that gives me lots of pix of various types that folks are trying to sell. Usually they will have dimensions etc. This gives me a guideline on basic proportions. Sometimes you will find a basic plan design. I use all this to come up with the design and go from there.

If you decide on specific type joint, lots of examples abound. Put all that stuff together and you have what you want.

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

ohn Ruskin, Pre-Raphaelitism, 1850

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

n Ruskin, Pre-Raphaelitism, 1850

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com
.

Yeah, they do get picky in some stores. I have told sales people up front not to waste time with me because i am looking for design ideas. A few seem to appreciate it and even strike up a conversation. At any rate, if you can't take photos just get the manufacturer's name and web info and check them out on-line. A lot of times you will find variations that you like better.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:25:25 -0800, the infamous Evodawg scrawled the following:

You might get a whole lot more than a few sets of plans from this book, E. From $13.99, delivered.

Buy the book, build two beds, sell one, and you have a nice profit to buy more wood for your other projects.

--snip-- one reviewer's comments: 5.0 out of 5 stars A complete and detailed guide to bed making and design., October 27, 1999 By Andy Brownell ( snipped-for-privacy@cappsdigital.com) (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews "BEDS" by Jeff Miller provides an indepth look at the design and construction of nine beds, ranging from beginner to advanced skill levels. Complete cut lists for all of the projects are provided with detailed drawings and descriptions for joinery, technique and several construction options. Dozens of color photographs add to the readers understanding of each bed project and are accompanied by a detailed step-by-step description for building.

Many of the projects are also accompanied by detailed drawings and instructions for making jigs to help the user with difficult cutting, routing and shaping - a detail often overlooked by other books like this.

Jeff's designs represent well thought out variations on several classic bed designs and place an emphasis on clean lines and proportions, solid construction and attention to detail.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in buiilding their own bed, or to simply learn about what goes into the design and construction of fine handcrafted furniture.

--snip--

-- It's a great life...once you weaken. --author James Hogan

Reply to
Larry Jaques