Re: OT - Is it really worth saving any more?

Page 4 of 13

I can't think of any myself

Finally got us out of Indochina.
Ended the draft.
Drafted and signed the first nuclear limitation treaty with Russia (the SALT treaty).
Opened the first American dialogue with the Chinese (a communist!) government.
Created the EPA.
Sent the brilliant Henry Kissinger to the middle east to get Egypt, Syria and Israel to stop fighting. He was successful.
Then... in an unprecedented case of believing one's own bullshit combined with a stew of paranoia, arrogance, and stupidity, he got involved in Watergate. He will be remembered for nothing else. In many ways, I think Nixon was a terribly warped man.

Why be sorry? He was waaaay cool. He was far from perfect, (kinda like the rest of us...) but he was the right guy at the right place at the right time. The lefties were in tears as they thought he was too conservative, and the righties thought he wasn't conservative enough.
After all the years of the country joyfully tearing itself to pieces, it was neat to be "proud to be an American" again. IIRC, when he ran for re-election, he was so popular with the public he only lost one state in the Union.
Sadly, I don't think we will ever see the likes of him again.
Robert

Flawed. And very afraid of people. Saw him up close and personal (face to face) at a rally in Toledo in 1960. The fear was palpable.
<snip>

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY
In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. ------------------------------
In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. ------------------------------
Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated. ------------------------------
China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated ------------------------------
Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. ---- ------------- -------------
Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. ------------------------------
Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. -----------------------------
Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million. ------------------------------
It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own Government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in:
List of 7 items:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent
Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!
In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!
While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.
There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort, and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.
You won't see this datum on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.
Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.
Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!
The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.
With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.
During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!
If you value your freedom, Please spread this anti-gun control message to all of your friends.
The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.
1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
3. I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
4. W hen seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46.'
6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.
7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'
8. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!
But wait, there's more!
I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said I did. She said 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!' To which I said, 'Of course it is loaded, can't work without bullets!' She then asked, 'Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?' My reply was, 'No, not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around, and they are all loaded too.' To which I'll add, having a gun in the house that isn't loaded is like having a car in the garage without gas in the tank.
I'm a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment! If you are too, please forward
NOTICE: This communication and any attachments may contain privileged or otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient or believe that you may have received this communication in error, please reply to the sender indicating that fact and delete the copy you received without printing, copying, retransmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using the information. Thank you.
------------------------------------------------------------------ One site has it all. Your email accounts, your social networks, and the things you love. Try the new AOL.com today!
Tom Bunetta wrote:

... snip of history
A bit of more recent history. For those who think disarming the populace is a good idea, read very carefully the accounts of what happened in Mumbai last week. Just a couple of armed citizens (heck, one or two armed police officers with ammunition) could have prevented a lot of savagery. Instead, the populace was reduced to being a bunch of unarmed, helpless sheep whom these monsters were able to slaughter at will. The cameraman who got the pictures of one of the savages made the statement that he wished he had a gun instead of a camera. <http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/mumbai-photographer-i-wish-id-had-a-gun-not-a-camera-armed-police-would-not-fire-back-14086308.html He also made the statement that the policemen wouldn't fire on the terrorists. There is some speculation that the police may have had guns but no ammunition.

"Mike Marlow" wrote

Not yet, anyway. Strong advocate of 2nd Amendment rights, so no argument there. But, what worries me is how much of the illegal immigrant population is currently armed to the teeth? Especially with the Mexican drug cartel increasingly more active *inside* our border.
Maintaining "weapon parity" is something the average citizen is not going to consider.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

Can you still legally purchase fully automatic weapons in Texas??? ;-)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

The states that I'm aware of with full-auto bans are California, Connecticut, and maybe New York (I'm not clear on whether the Sullivan Act applies to the whole state or just NYC). However the Feds have outlawed sales to citizens of any made or imported after 1986, and between that and the transfer tax the prices have gone through the roof.
--John
On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 20:30:09 -0500, J. Clarke cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Full auto ban is a federal thing, not a state thing. I think you need to research your data further. I'd like to offer a specific correction to your understanding, but to be honest, I don't know it myself. The Feds banned full auto (except for certain license holders) decades ago. Maybe back in the 30's or so?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Swingman wrote:

To put the Mexican drug wars in perspective, last week it was reported that there were more fatalities in Mexico than in the total MidEast theater.
37 in TJ alone which included at least 4 decapitations.
Nobody goes to TJ for the weekend these days.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Except Nancy Botwin <grin>.
--John
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Certainly not the Mexican's fault ... just that the media has yet to contrive a way to blame it on Bush. Stay tuned ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Point taken, but again - it's a point about a criminal elelment - not a point about either the right to bear arms, or law abiding citizens. That criminal element is not going to be affected by any of Lew's proposed legislation. In fact the only element that is going to be effected, is the legal element.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

What exactly do you call "commonplace"? In Canada, Britain, Australia, Japan, China, The Netherlands, guns ARE NOT commonplace. Just because the US has guns enshrined in its constitution doesn't automatically include the rest of the civilized countries around the world.
Guess that rocks your "The USA is the centre of the universe" theory eh?

Of course it does. EVERYbody knows that it is The Netherlands which is at the centre of the universe.
On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 08:54:17 -0800 (PST), Robatoy cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

And foolish me - I had overlooked the fact that those 6 countries constituted the civilized world.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
wrote in message

There is indeed a line of thought that in the late 1500s early 1600s the modern concepts of trade, economics, science and arts were fleshed out in the Low Countries. Helped of course by the expulsion of Jews from Spain, and the better location for worldwide trade than the seat of the Renaissance.
Disclaimer: I'm Dutch by birth, and now US citizen.
Headline in today's NY Times: From Hoof to Dinner Table, a new bid to cut emissions. Methane from cattle and pigs are big contributors to greenhouse gases. Eat less meat!
--
Best regards
Han

Then, for an alternate source of protein, I like to eat romano- or kidney beans. Eat enough of those, and there won't be a pane of glass left in your greenhouse.
*smirk*
Han wrote: [snip]

Ummmm... They don't call us old FARTS for no reason.     j4

I don't think you can win a farting contest with a pig or a cow. If you could, I wouldn't know what to call you <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote: