Re: OT: If you could spend an hour with someone, dead or alive. someone who could not lie...

jo4hn wrote:

If you get the opportunity to ask, I'm curious as to what he traded (either directly or by implication) to Stalin at Potsdam.
I'm curious, but hope to not have the opportunity to ask.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Historical short-circuit: "Potsdam" should have been "Yalta".
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
J. Clarke wrote:

Uh, yeah, I do understand General Relativity. My undergraduate degree was in Physics (with a double major in Math). 'Course that was before all this new fangled shit got popular - like quantum mechanics and string theory.
"HeyBub" wrote

Lee Michaels wrote:

Hmm. It does have at least one advantage over NAR: it's given rise to miracles that can be produced (and reproduced) by 'ordinary' folks...
So says this non-physicist with a patent in the mill for a method of absorbing 99.99999% of incident solar radiation in a concentrating collector (I got tired of having to wear welding goggles to protect my eyes). :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
HeyBub wrote:

Must be some school you went to where they have an undergraduate course in General Relativity. At most schools they can't get enough math into the student until the second year of grad school.
J. Clarke wrote:

We topologists can do math standing on our heads.

Yeah, but you can't tell the difference between a doughnut and a coffee cup.
--
Frank Stutzman

HeyBub wrote:

I didn't pick up on something in my first reply--you got your physics degree before _quantum_ _mechanics_? And yet you got an undergraduate General Relativity course? Something is very wrong with this picture.
J. Clarke wrote:

Nothing wrong with the picture at all ... CLEARLY stated "_before_" it got popular.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

Humpf! Even Einstein said 'God does not throw dice!'
HeyBub wrote:

Which has what bearing on the point in question?

Actually, the exact quote was:
"Quantum mechanics is certainly imposing. But an inner voice tells me that it is not yet the real thing. The theory says a lot, but does not really bring us any closer to the secret of the 'old one'. I, at any rate, am convinced that He does not throw dice."
And regardless of the quote, Einstein didn't believe in a personal god.
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein
: J. Clarke wrote: :>> :>> Thanks for the correction. He WAS 26 when he wrote the paper that :>> eventually earned him a Nobel Prize. General Relativity, however, was :>> merely a generalized case of Special Relativity which he also :>> published at 26.:> :> You really don't grasp General Relativity if you believe it to be :> "merely" _anything_. General Relativity, while it reduces to Special :> Relativity for one case and to Newtonian Mechanics for another, was :> pretty much a rewriting of the whole of physics.:>
: Uh, yeah, I do understand General Relativity. My undergraduate degree was in : Physics (with a double major in Math). 'Course that was before all this new : fangled shit got popular - like quantum mechanics and string theory.
Hmm. QM got popular sometime around eighty years ago, didn't it? You're older than one would have thought.
    -- Andy Barss
Andrew Barss wrote:

Yep, late '20s to early '30s. Not sure when it became a standard part of the undergraduate physics curriculum--it was in the late '60s though, at which time General Relativity wasn't all that common even in graduate physics programs.
RE: Subject
Since this is a wood working forum, Norm.
Lew
Way too many interesting humans to spend an hour with. I don't know if I'd really waste my one hour on this, but I'd like to hear what Lee Harvey Oswald would have to say.
d.williams wrote:

--
Froz...