If you were getting someone else's leccy bill

If you were getting someone else's leccy bill...

How long would it take you to notice?

I've just realised, that since I moved to a new flat 14 months ago, I've been getting someone else's electricity bill.

Well, the bill has the correct address, and the meter number on record with the supplier is the same as the meter number labeled as being connected to my flat. The catch is that the meter isn't connected to my flat, and is instead connected to another flat.

I must admit that I had my suspicions after the 1st bill, but the readings matched those on the meter - and unfortunately, the meters are kept in a locked room, and the management only allows supervised access. Only once I had a pretty strong suspicion something was up, did I approached the management and ask them to let me watch all the meters going round for 15 minutes or so.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

You need someone out there to sort it out - it may have been caused by them simply renumbering the flats.

They will have readings from the other flat, so they should be able to correctly attribute your usage, but you may have a fight on your hands - see what their first response is, then go for the jugular and put a complaint in with Energywatch

it might get messy is if the other flat are with another supplier...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Yeah. Don't worry. It is in hand.

Npower have given me an appointment for an inspector to examine the meters and my property. They've got records of consumption for both meters since I moved in, and supply electricity to both flats.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Just hope that the person who's bill you have been paying is more wasteful than you are.

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

Oh boy you are going to have fun sorting that one out. There may be five parties involved. You, the other flat occupiers, the company you buy electricity from, the company the other flat buys electricity from and the local distribution company.

I don't think I'd try and do this by phone but write with copies to every other party explaining the situation. In theory it's just a swap of meter point numbers but as that is the key reference I bet it's not simple to do.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice