RE : O/T: Hello Houston

Getting news reports that Houston got hit pretty hard.

You guys OK?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You mean in the thunderstorms and rain ?

I'm 200 miles north and we got over 10" though the locals don't say that at the airport... Hum.

Massive lighting storm - thousands of strikes. The app I have was almost white with strikes covering up the purple, red, orange and yellow with the three shades of green of rain.

I had a friend that got Baseball sized hail. That would make your day in a windshield or head...

Flooding everywhere. Rivers are at over 100 percent for several weeks. Then a day off of rain and then more rain.

I mowed the acreage grass last time with a Hog cutter. Large weeds. Now the grass is in full swing and growing. I have running water across the yard, and down the sides of roads.

Trees are falling - I haven't lost one yet, but I suspect I will in the coming weeks. These are 100' to 125' oaks.

Mart> Getting news reports that Houston got hit pretty hard.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

In the last 4-5 weeks, almost 14" of rain where I live. Clear Lake, just south of Houston got 13" in 3 hours last weekend. But no big deal on the west side if Houston, mostly a problem if you live near any of the local rivers. The whole state has been getting rain and many of the rivers enter the gulf near Houston.

Reply to
Leon

It rained??

Reply to
Swingman

I mowed the acreage grass last time with a Hog cutter. Large weeds. Now the grass is in full swing and growing. I have running water across the yard, and down the sides of roads.

Ditto a place I keep SE of San Antonio. I've kept the eight-foot, twin-blade shredder hooked up [vs. the grooming mower] for the last two cuts. Pretty ragged looking but you can't keep letting it grow. About 25 inches of rain there since March. Rancher I know has abandoned his remaining wheat to be combined; what remains is laying over. Old mine pits and stock tanks full to the brim or overflowing. The last seven or eight years I've been saying I don't complain about the rain anymore. I'm ready to shelve that refrain.

Dave in SoTex

Reply to
Dave in Texas

Here is another massive line / bow front / of Rain - in the Yellow and Red. The time passing will be 5 hours. We are about half the way through and thankfully it didn't dump like before - likely 4 or 5 inches, but my dry creek didn't overflow while taking water from the house to the creek.

Mart> You mean in the thunderstorms and rain ?

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

It doesn't have to in Houston. They are downhill from DFW and a lot of East Texas Forest lands. Water a-plenty is heading there - the lakes are in full overflow. Earlier in the year - over winter - you could see dirt in lots of bass hide outs. Now 20' of water or more.

Mart> >>> Getting news reports that Houston got hit pretty hard.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

That was a jest.

The streets are inundated, again, as we speak.

My home is in no danger. 3' above grade, and grade is 1' above the curb.

Never again...

Reply to
Swingman
11.5 inches of rain out here in Pecan Grove/Richmond last night. It still beats burning up the countryside due to a drought.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy