RE: No Electricity Table Saw

That blade on there will be more than happy to cut right through you if you get careless with it, just like a circular blade.

could buy the disc sander and drum sander along with it for less money.

Doing dovetails on that thing was pretty cool though.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

True dat. I have a friend who uses nothing but hand tools, because he works in his living room... yes, he's single, and he lives in the upper half of a duplex.

It's all relative, isn't it? This new-to-me Delta seems silent compared to that POS direct-drive Ryobi I replaced.

But I still wouldn't run it at 2am. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Don't worry, SawStop is coming out with their own version.

Reply to
-MIKE-

If it were simply production I was concerned with, I'd have the dovetailed boxes made, finished and delivered. I'm in it for me and my enjoyment.

RicodJour

On 10/27/2009 9:27 AM RicodJour spake thus:

Yep, agreed. After my initial misgivings, I realized that this is a pretty original tool worthy of consideration. I would expect to see more tools like it, and more variations in the next few years. And it certainly wouldn't be beyond a dedicated DIYer to come up with a doable design.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 10/27/2009 9:50 AM Nonny spake thus:

Dunno for sure, but it looks to be no more complicated than removing a few screws. (I'm guessing there are some blade clamps on the bottom edge.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 10/27/2009 9:49 AM RicodJour spake thus:

Regarding safety, my guess is that this saw is only unsafe in the sense that a bandsaw is more unsafe than a table saw, as counterintuitive as that seems. I say that because a table saw, while it is probably actually more dangerous, warns the user with a screaming blade and other noise, while the bandsaw just sits there humming away, ready to take off one's thumb.

The Bridge City saw (what do we call that tool, anyhow?) is even quieter than a bandsaw, so that probably increases its inherent dangerousness. But I'd be willing to learn to use it. Just have to pay attention every second to where your hands are.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

And this thing's really only useful for crosscuts, no? If you have to rip anything of significant length you're going to have to switch to a different tool.

Reply to
Steve Turner

On 10/27/2009 9:58 AM Kevin spake thus:

Yeah, just think of the production speed (and accuracy!) one could get cranking out pins and tails. 90% of your time would be spent chopping out waste.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Kind of like you do with a sled on your table saw?

Reply to
CW

On 10/27/2009 10:39 AM -MIKE- spake thus:

Right: it'll attach to your skull with electrodes, and freeze all your limbs when it senses you're too close to the blade.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Kind of like you do with *every* operation on a table saw? or router? or bandsaw? or... (grin)

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

I'm waiting for the SAWSTOP version of this to come out! =20 Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

I was thinks more along the lines of a 44 magnum with the barrel pointed towards the operator.

Reply to
Nova

Yes, but with those tools you're not hurtling your hands into harms way at a high rate of speed. Well, *I'm* not anyway. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Chances, though, that with the tablesaw you will lose a finger or worse. With the non powered device, you will bleed but it would take real work to remove a finger.

Reply to
CW

I agree. At first, I was surprised that the safety subject came up at all then I realized that there are people out there that need a seatbelt on a toilet.

Reply to
CW

On 10/27/2009 2:10 PM CW spake thus:

Even bloodying a finger on the stationary saw blade would be a big FAIL in my book.

I'm happy to say that I've never even nicked my finger on a tablesaw blade, spinning or not. And that's not by accident.

Now, my experience with just plain old knife blades is a whole 'nother story ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 10/27/2009 1:32 PM Nova spake thus:

Ah, yes; that's the "single use" model.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Who's comparing? Perhaps I could have put it more clearly. I'll try again: .......

No comparison of saws in that, just a comment on TS prices. .......It's about the money ......... : )

Reply to
diggerop