RE: No Electricity Table Saw

Page 3 of 4

Kind of like you do with a sled on your table saw?

Kind of like you do with *every* operation on a table saw? or router? or bandsaw? or... (grin)
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

Yes, but with those tools you're not hurtling your hands into harms way at a high rate of speed. Well, *I'm* not anyway. :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Chances, though, that with the tablesaw you will lose a finger or worse. With the non powered device, you will bleed but it would take real work to remove a finger.
On 10/27/2009 2:10 PM CW spake thus:

Even bloodying a finger on the stationary saw blade would be a big FAIL in my book.
I'm happy to say that I've never even nicked my finger on a tablesaw blade, spinning or not. And that's not by accident.
Now, my experience with just plain old knife blades is a whole 'nother story ...
--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

I agree. At first, I was surprised that the safety subject came up at all then I realized that there are people out there that need a seatbelt on a toilet.

I'll admit I noticed that in the video and cringed a bit each time the stock went towards the blade. I assume there are guards left off for demonstration purposes.
I said way back there, that I didn't really see the utility... I'll add the qualifer, "for me".
Ed
wrote in message

Who's comparing? Perhaps I could have put it more clearly. I'll try again: .......

No comparison of saws in that, just a comment on TS prices. .......It's about the money ......... : )
On 10/26/2009 7:40 PM Artemus spake thus:

Exactly what I was thinking: there should be a ratcheting jack that raises the blade on the backstroke, adjustable, and able to be defeated for repeat cuts with the blade at the same height.
Hell, for $1300, why not?

Maybe a three-stop turret like on a router?
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Hey, where's the friggin' blade guard? I hear the dentist-drill sound that thing makes, then I imagine sticking my finger in the wrong place right when I'm making an exuberant swipe, and... <shudder>
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

Don't worry, SawStop is coming out with their own version.
--

-MIKE-

On 10/27/2009 10:39 AM -MIKE- spake thus:

Right: it'll attach to your skull with electrodes, and freeze all your limbs when it senses you're too close to the blade.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I was thinks more along the lines of a 44 magnum with the barrel pointed towards the operator.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Ah, yes; that's the "single use" model.
--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?
On 10/26/2009 3:41 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

I think I'll wait until Harbor Freight makes a clone of it and sells it cheap.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Hmm. Make your own?
What you need is a device with a table that adjusts instead of the blade (think Shopsmith) and a fixed, thin-bladed, cross-cut saw.

Just a thought>>>>>How about a 300 pound fly wheel you hand crank up to speed to drive your table saw. No electric power needed. WW

WW wrote:

I saw one at the Indiana State Fair (pioneer tools)--leg operated, of course. Actually more of a sabre-saw.

Or you could just have the 300 pound wife crank it. :)