Re: It Ain't Natcherul - Experiment Finished

Well good to see you back Tom, I was saddened to hear you had gone back to the building trade . We all think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence at times ,especially when you hear what a good trim carpenter earns these days. Things get even more pressing when it comes to the attention of the wife ,dreams of sugar plum fairies and all that stuff, bin there done that.
The cabinet making endeavor is a more demanding one than most but also is more satisfying . I know satisfaction does not put bread on the table but if the business satisfies the basic needs, there is a lot to be said for going to work each day and enjoying what you do . That being said, it shows in your work ,you make a quality product . It is my contention that in the end quality will come to the attention of more affluent clientele who can well afford your work and will have no problem paying a fair price for it . There is a select group of people in most communities with the funds to afford anything they want but cannot find the craftsman that can provide that quality of product at any price . Once they find you they will latch on, know that this is not a one time rip-off because of their wealth, and will spread your name around their circle of friends. I can attest to this, I have done this for the last 20 years never advertised ,everything just simple word of mouth.
Pretty soon you will be just like me, a grandfather [last month], and able to have two Manhattans every night .
regards mike hide
-- mike hide http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2
Hallelujah, Amen, Brother!
Fresh from the choir loft, and having just finished building a house (where my shop was on the site, so I was there every day, and for every board), and having finally taken over the job of supervising, by agreement, (after threatening to kick the builder's sorry ass on an almost a daily basis the first couple of weeks), and having fired a goodly number of his subs during the project for sub standard work, and having fixed many of the problem areas myself, and having refused to pay for, and routinely sending back, any material that was not up to plan specs, I finally got a house built that I can sleep in at night with both eyes closed, and that may last longer than the ten or fifteen year, if I am lucky, that I probably have left on earth.
It was a hell of a struggle ... I simply can't imagine buying a "spec" home in this day and age.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/28/03

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Tom Watson wrote: big amount of snippage for the sake of bandwidth...
What. No GFRG?
UA100

Were thinking of assembling my next job with ingredients ordered entirely from the Outhousewater Catalog. Hell, I'm just joinin' the modern era.
("Twenty years a schoolin' and they put you on the day shift...")
Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
@wi.rr.com says...

GFRG?

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 20:57:42 GMT, Mark & Juanita

Before you exercise yourself about the foul possibilities - I think that El Sauro was referring to Glass Fiber Reinforced Gypsum.
That's foul enough for me.
Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Dear Eric,

As someone with Crohn's disease, I find that line quite funny!
Thanks,
David.
I got the sensations involved in "iron men, wooden ships. Iron ships, wooden men."
--
Young Carpenter

"Save a Tree, Build Furniture"

And what about fiberglass ships? -- Ernie

Yes, you are. http://www.fypon.com / -- Ernie

Hmmm... Isn't "molded millwork" an oxymoron?
-Chris
no
-- mike hide http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2

Yes, but the problem is how to make that initial contact, other than a stroke of good luck. Any suggestions?
Renata
wrote: --snip--

Greg B wrote:

LOL!!

Tom,
I agree with you 100% about Tyvek and airtight houses. My wife and I are going to do an addition on our home in the next year or so and one of the challenges we are having is finding a good contractor who will not use these modern "advances."
Any chance of luring you out of the cabinet shop again? ;-)
-Chris
On 5 Aug 2003 06:16:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mybluelight.com (Chris) wrote:

Good luck. In most places they are required by code.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Consider "vent skin" construction:
http://www.tomsangle.com/docs/VentSkin.pdf
Well worth the minimal effort and any builder can do it, Tyvek or not.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/28/03