Re: I need guidance

Donnie Vazquez notes:

Ok, I need some guidance on what to do with a huge board (here comes the >drive-by) I recently bought what looks to be a redwood board, 14/4 x 11" >x 96", for 20 bucks from a little old lady (seriously). She said it's >been sitting in her garage for over 50 years

Good gloat.

The board is perfectly straight with very tight >grain. I guess it's old growth, maybe all redwood is old growth?

Unfortunately, no.

I don't have a clue as to what I should do >with this thing :-) I'd hate to cut it up just to make some stupid >outdoor project like planters. But it's not really appropriate for fine >indoor furniture is it? I

The last wide redwood I had, I used to make some decent looking bookcases. More than a decade later, they still look great.

I guess my point is that I'd hate to cut it up and >then have someone come along later and say oh my god! I can't believe >you cut that board! It would have been perfect for (insert great idea >here).

Whose board is it? Scroom.

Charlie Self

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe." Dan Quayle

Reply to
Charlie Self

There are a great many pieces of "fine woodwork" made from redwood. Ditto architectural projects.

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

First off for the gloat you suck. :) Second, find somebody who is finishing out room for a sauna or spa and wants some nice piece of furniture custom fit for the room. Since it's 14/4 x 8' you could do one or two large relief carvings. Maybe go off and look up some Greene and Greene info, they used lots of big redwood in their CA projects IIRC.

Good luck in finding a noble purpose. I find it aesthetically pleasing on the rare occasion when I have the wood helping to drive the design.

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex

Reply to
Mark

Mark,

That sounds like a good idea. I'm on vacation this week in O.C. I'll get in touch with you next week. It's funny, I bought the wood about 5 minutes from Pasadena off of Jumpers Hole road.

Donnie Vazquez Sunderland, MD

Reply to
Donnie Vazquez