Seeded lawn last October - Need advice

I tilled and seeded my new yard last October before it froze (midwest

- central Illinois). I threw down some straw in the dry areas, and I had what looked to have been a good start last fall...lots of green grass coming up in areas.

Now it's March, and I'm wondering when I a good time is to start seeding again. What are good products to use? Do I need to till the bare areas? My dirt is not real hard, but it's not tilled anymore. Plus, I have quite a few bare or thin areas.

Thanks Mike

Reply to
MDO

Seed it asap. Re-straw anyplace that needs re-seeding.

Do it now. Frost or snow doesn't hurt grass seed.

Reply to
Steveo

The first question is, what went wrong last fall? If it was properly prepared and seeded, you shouldn't have to do anything now. Did you seed it too late in the season so that it didn't have time to get established? Early Sept is the optimum time. Was the soil tested, proper PH established, and starter fertilizer applied? Did you use a high quality seed, preferably endophyte enhanced?

If you just have some small areas, you can reseed those late Mar-early April, by roughing up the area with a rake, distributing the seed, and lightly raking again. If there are big areas, then rent a slice seeder. Spring is a much more difficult time to establish a lawn for several reasons. Competition from weeds, higher temps requiring more water and not a lot of time to get established before hot summer weather arrives are the main ones.

Since your re-seeding, make sure you later put down the proper crabgrass control, eg Tupersan, which is OK for new lawns.

Reply to
Chet Hayes