Re: Gloat/whine (humor intended)

Welcome to the group John.
My name is Dave and I'm an addict too. I buy tools and I don't even have a workshop.
Anybody else want to say hi to the group?
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 15:09:28 +0000, marc rosen wrote (in article

If you lash them together, belt side down, you should be able to make quite a serviceable off-road vehicle that has the unique benefit of not drawing criticism for roughing up the terrain
probably
Bored Borg wrote:

Only when you get to the end of it....100 yards short of the pub.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 18:06:42 +0000, Robatoy wrote (in article

The pub down our road has been granted an extension for the holidays...

<G> Where is that pub? Is it a genuine old pub?
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 05:19:06 +0000, Robatoy wrote (in article
<ausgesnipt>

IT IS TRULY HORRIBLE THERE IS NOT A SINGLE SEAT IN THE PLACE WHERE YOU CAN'T SEE THE "BIG SCREEN T.V!" damn the caps lock sorry which the Pakistani manager has installed twelvefold around the place - all permanently screaming sports channel or Asian musicals. Because of the smoking ban which England introduced last year, he has roofed over the back yard in a sort of cloister and installes - wait for it - Big Screen T.V! - out there, so the pub regulars - mainly permanently-shouting AsianSubContinental youth aged up to about 25 - all sit outside in the smoking shelter, leaving the huge pub almost empty but still unusable by anyone wanting to have a conversation or not be hypnotized by Bollywood or soccer. Damned shame 'cos they have a sub-let area in there where a guy turns out stunningly good tandoori food and barbecue kebabs and, of course, curry. There is another tiny bar which is the length and width of a darts-playing area which is permanently full of extremely drunken older Irish folk who seem to be in that state from well before lunchtime. In there, the Big Screen T.V. is permanently on but also permanently on is a jukebox playing Irish ballads, drinking songs and rebel ditties at ear-splitting volume so you have to use sign language to order anything at the bar while keeping eyes wide open to avoid any stray darts which you are now standing in the playing area of and which will have been thrown by persons of guaranteed insobriety
At least since the smoking ban it's now possible to see the bar without using foglights or radar, but you can get a nicotine hit just by brushing the clothes of anyone of the regulars in there or even disturbing the "carpet" with your feet. It feels like wading through an abandoned, glue-covered ashtray
The outside of the pub is a genuine old pub, It's a lovely old building and approached from the Ring Road it looks like a little traditional village green type place... what was that word again for something that looks great for a distance BUT..
a Monet?
I really wish it were otherwise. Years ago it was an Irish pub with a warm welcome, roaring fires and good Guinness where locals would meet up and talk, drink and slide down their seats quietly and with good grace and the landlord would buy you an occasional drink and make sure everybody was happy. Now it caters entirely to swarthy bling-covered youngsters who like drinking high-proof lager (but can't handle it) don't know what standing in line means and every one of them is louder than every other one of them and OMIGOd, doesn't this make me sound like an Old Fart sounding off about "youth of today"
?
Lovely.
I'm going away for Christmas, staying with friends who own a proper old-fashioned pub with home cooking and a choice of a dozen real ales, no jukebox or fruit machines...
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 15:19:46 +0000, Bored Borg wrote:

You need a TV-B-gone. Don't let them figure out it's you doing it though....

http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_main.php
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 17:55:42 +0000, Upscale wrote

Thanks
Checked it out
$39.94 shipped to U.K.
I might go for this in New Year some time. In the short term there's probably not much point as I'm not likely to be desperate enough to go in and endure the place.
Oh yes.. the fruit machines These all have full-volume kerchunk whirr whirr whirr diddly-diddly Klaxx Klaxx Klaxx Klaxx Klaxx soundtracks as well., complete with hypnotic spinning spiral patter lights which constantly draw your attention even from the periphery of your vision. Any concealable, reusable device that will remotely melt the innards of these damned things will DEFINITELY get my money.
Fast epoxy makes them unplayable but doesn't stop the nuisance factor.
i DID use insulated wire cutters, once, on a juke box but that led to strong words. (this was in a room which had been booked for a meeting where the manager refused to disable the machine, which was hard wired to the wall. Same pub, strangely enough, many years ago) We didn't get banned - he liked the trade - but he DID put in an in-line switch afterwards.

Post a review and let us know how well it works.
--
Stuart Winsor

That doesn't stop these guys!
http://www.powertooldragraces.com /
Happy Holidays!
Myc
Bored Borg wrote:

Something more serviceable: <http://hotair.com/archives/2008/12/20/video-the-greatest-fitness-invention-ever/

Upscale wrote:

Hi. My name is Morris and I've been new tool free for two months now...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Hey Dave, Thanks for the well wishes and I hope all is wel with you too. Yes, I am heading to the show, most likely on Friday since that is a Holiday at my job (which means I still have to go in but not as many hours.) It has been decreasing in vendors, etc, since I began going but it is still fun. If any RECDOTTERS go to the show look for me. I'm the old guy with a beard and a ballcap.
Marc