Re: Experience with LV's Dado Set?

I've got the Frued set. I do get some chipping on plywood with it.
When I need another for good cabinetry, I plan to try one designed for melamine, so I'm VERY interested in your decision and results! (These buggers are not cheap, especially when you figure out just how few feet of wood you actually cut with them - its like the mileage on my F250/4wd truck!)

Well, I just bought the Freud set considering it's half the price of the LV set and that right now anyway, I'll be using it on cedar for some outdoor furniture. When I get around to the veneered plywood, I'll test it out and let you know the results.
Art wrote:

I cut melamine with a Forrest Chopmaster mounted in the table saw.
I dado and rabbet melamine with a router. <G>
As for the chipping, do you use a zero clearance insert or sled for plywood crosscuts? It works great for me.
Art wrote:

I have a Freud set and have no problems with chipping; however, use a custom fit zero clearance insert for almost every job.
SFWIW, a roll of double backed adhesive tape and some scrap 6mm hardboard pieces make a lot of zero clearance blanks.
3 pieces, sanded smooth on the back side before taping is just about right.
Lew