Re: Dust Collection Intake Port Size Question

I'm not sure of your question. You want to run a 6" main trunk line and then reduce to 4" at the DC? If so, no. You want to remove the y and run 6" all the way.
If you reduce from 6 to 4 you will have a severe reduction in velocity. Ed

better if you can to use 6" pipe/hose to the tool. you will get far better flow.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
I would use either a blast gate or a cap on the unused 4" intake, that way you can add on later, if needed, without having to make changes to the existing pipes.

: I would use either a blast gate or a cap on the unused 4" intake, that : way you can add on later, if needed, without having to make changes to : the existing pipes.
Unless it's been changed in the last 2 years, the 1029 has a 5" intake and I'm fairly certain the 5-to-dual-4 Y that came with it also *included* a cap for one of the 4". If you're using 4" flex hose this is a perfectly adequate solution.
If you're running pipe, I'd take off the Y. My DC pipe is 4" schedule-40 PVC; conveniently, 5" flex hose fits nicely around the outside of this (with a 5" clamp to draw it tight), so the final connection to my 1029 is a short length of 5" flex. Works great.
The 1029 is a good machine. I've been quite happy with mine.
-Brett
--
Brett B. Bonner This planet needs a lot more kids who think
snipped-for-privacy@picante.com taking the lawnmower's engine apart is *way*
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

My older Griz 1029 used a 5 in opening that branched off into 4 in wyes... Odered a new plate which has a 6 inch opening from which I intend to run a 6 inch trunk and 45 degree 6 to 4 inch reducers at each machine connected to my old 4 in blast gates...then 4 inch hose to the tool itself
Wanted the 6 inch main trunk ....
Bob Griffiths