Re: drill attachment

I agree that working with a round-over bit is asking for trouble. In a hardware store, I saw a drill grinder attachment which had a concave hole, and was thinking that this might do the trick. I was thinking of installing this on a lathe if that's what it takes.
BTW, how did they use to get a nice head on a wooden base ball bat ? I suppose that they had some sort of lathe which would hold the base while they could sand the ends.
On Sep 25, 6:14pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Skilled woodturner with a skew chisel who did nothing but turn bats all day.
On 9/25/2011 11:56 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

More likely a robot programed to turn bats.
WRECK only
wrote:

Unless it's done in a turd world country, in which case they'd have one guy running the springpole lathe and another skilled woodturner turning bats, and another sanding the finished product with his feet.
-- [Television is] the triumph of machine over people. -- Fred Allen
On 9/26/11 7:37 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

There are these really cool things out, now, called google and youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIr3ES8Cwi8

--

-MIKE-

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, we used to have more craftsman in this country too... ;)

On 9/26/2011 5:29 AM, Leon wrote:

Yea, if you define a CNC lathe as a robot - rough turning 90 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov3awRWfVJc

Many bats are still made by hand, though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIr3ES8Cwi8

On 9/26/2011 1:29 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

Huh? This guy (gone Batty) seems to have more than one way to kill a bat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoKn1nW7bq8&feature=related

--
Jack
"Leon" wrote in message wrote:

More likely a robot programed to turn bats. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mass produced ones are made by CNC these days but the custom ones are still turned by hand.
On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 21:23:37 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus

If "How It's Made" or"How Do they Do That" runs on one of your cable TV channels, check the episodes for "baseball bat". One has the making of the Louisville Slugger and another covers making aluminum bats.
The wooden bat has the handle end held in place on the lathe by a point tailstock
John
snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us wrote in wrote:

just a FYI,the alloy used in AL bats is aluminum-scandium.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik