Re: Confused with my Freud raised panel bit set

> The Freud website states that this panel set is for 3/4" stock. I'd suggest > then that you're trying to get more profile to appear than would normally be > desired. Have a look at the pictures of sample cuts and make up your own > mind. > >
" stock, that's the problem. If I use 3/4" stock for both the frame

and panel, the panel will be proud by the thickness of the material left under the groove in the rails and stiles. That's if I want to get the profiles as shown on the website. Now that I think about, 7/8" stock for the frame won't work either since the rail and stile bits are made for 3/4" stock. Should I not expect to get the same profile for the panel that's pictured on the website?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill

Yes, you should. I've got the Freud Ogee rail and style bits (15 years old) and I do get the profile shown. I can't explain why you're not. Can you possibly post some close up sample cuts to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking?

Reply to
Upscale

Usually, it is a combination of setting the heights on the router bits to where the tongue on the raised panel is the same distance from the face of the panel and the groove in the stiles and rails is also the same distance from the face of the stiles and rails. You can alter these until you get the profile you want and hopefully, you have about 1/8" left between the groove and the back of the stiles and rails.

I have a cove raised panel cutter for my shaper. It is designed for 3/4" stock, but it has some leeway. When cutting 3/4" panels, the cutter doesn't go all the way into the stock. If I cut deeper into the stock, I get more profile.

Reply to
Preston Andreas