Re: Changing the Belts on a Drill Press

Page 2 of 2
Mike,
thanks for finishing the "procedure". <g>
how goes it?
dave
Mike in Mystic wrote:

Hey Dave,
Things are going well. Did you see my posts here and in ABPW of my finished baby furniture? That's kept me busy for awhile. I still have things to do.
I ended up going for the Leigh jig, which is awesome. I'm totally happy I did it, although the price tag with bits and everything is pretty high. I'm sure it will last me many years and I'll use it a ton. I'm still trying to learn handcut dovetails, but I need a lot more time before I'll feel too comfortable with that. I made 4 dovetailed storage boxes the other day with the Leigh (so 16 ends each of pin and tail boards). All the parts were interchangeable and it only took me maybe 1.5 hours to do, which is pretty good for me.
Anyway, hope things are good with you. Any more pics of the shop projects? Once the baby is here (due date was yesterday but still waiting) and things die down (if ever!), I'm going to get some time to work on those things.
Mike
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
Mike in Mystic wrote:

Yep, I had the lever all the way forward. Maybe it was because I had the RPM set up for the lowest setting that made the belts so tight. Maybe I just need to take off the back belt first. Dunno. When I went back out, the rear belt came off after a few minutes of fiddling.
Mike in Mystic wrote:

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
I'm wondering how many belts your drill press has? Makes me realize that the Craftsman benchtop I had been using up to a few weeks ago had only one belt. I agree, it was easy to change the belt on that press.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

4, 5, or 8 (old Sears) speed drill presses use one belt. Those in the double-digits use two small belts with another cone pulley in between.
One thing for whoever's asking to try, just get a new name-brand belt (the kind with the notches is more flexible). The one that came on my POS Chinese drill press didn't even look like a belt. Of course, the DP was junk too and is gone now.
GTO(John)
GTO(John)

Just run the drill press over the weekend. When you come into the shop Sunday evening, stop the drill press and remove the belts. By this time the belts should have the consistency of warm, gooey licorice and can EASILY be manipulated or moved to a new groove in the pulley.
So I installed it on Linux...

If you unloosen a bolt, you've tightened it... Sorry. Tom
Is "unloosened" the opposite of "untightened"
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland