Re: Buying inert gases (argon, nitrogen, et cetera) in lieu of Bloxygen.

Page 1 of 2
I have a can of Bloxygen and use it sometimes when closing up a can if I'm in a hurry but usually I'll flow argon from my MIG welder in since it's a lot less expensive. Nitrogen will work but it's less likely to me that all moisture will be excluded when using nitrogen since the nitrogen is only about 0.5% heavier than air. Argon on the other hand, about 40% heavier than air, will stay in the can when open for quite a while if there is no draft.
Most welding supply shops will have tanks of argon available. An "A" bottle will provide enough for many paint cans but you do need a pressure regulator.
Phil Brian Phillips wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (hex) wrote:

Argon won't react with *anything* except under very carefully controlled laboratory conditions.
PC wrote:

What's wrong with using CO2? CompUSA was selling small dusting guns that used oilless CO2 cartridges some time back. Probably still available. Does anyone know if the CO2 carts. sold for pellet guns contain oil? ARM
Is CO2 heavier than air? If not, it would not stay in the can before you are able to put the lid on.
Leon wrote:

Yes.
A good way to go is to buy one of them (on sale) cheap argon or CO2 bottles from Horrible Fright and take it to your local welders supply store for a fill up. 20 cubic feet will last longer than the inspection stamp on the bottle. -Bruce (who uses his MIG welders CO2 supply to bloxy his blo's)
CO2 is not the best gas to use if your objective is to eliminate water vapor.
Phil
Bruce Rowen wrote:

PC wrote:

Care to explain that. CO2 doesn't have to be produced at a low temperature. you could fill a balloon with whatever gas you're going to use and let it equilibrate to ambient temperature.
ARM
The reason I don't favor CO2 for this purpose is that water vapor dissolves readily in CO2. In some situations this is advantageous but not here since and it is easy to use an inert gas like argon that doesn't dissolve so readily.
Phil
Alan McClure wrote:

Remember the 6 noble gases any one? Argon ,Xenon Radon, Krypton.Neon, Helium. Argon seems to be THE Coice.

Leon wrote:

Most definitely, I saw a hint published in one of the WW mags. a few years ago where CO2 was actually poured into a partially full paint can to displace the oxygen. The CO2 was generated by mixing some vinegar and baking soda in a tumbler.
ARM
You don't go to many rock concerts, I can tell.

Yes, 1 atom Carbon 2 atoms oxygen. If Remember right. Scuba cylinders contain 21 % Oxygen and 79 % Nitrogen. Argon is more expensive than Nitrogen. CO 2 is maybe least expensive. Try to get a 30 cubic foot cylinder to rent or buy. You'll need a pressure regulator also, to go with it. Might not be worth it. Though. I still think marbles dumped in the can to raise the level back to the top is a great idea. Easy to strain out amd to clean for later useis easy and cheaper. Most materials last a long time even half full. Oil based paint just gets a thin skin on top that is easy to skim off and strain. after opening. Try to rotate your can upsides down once in a while. Works for me.

Alternatively, you can turn the can upside down after use and then only the bottom does bad and you do not get a top skim layer. Or, you can drop in a sheet of plastic food wrap to rest on the surface of the liquid and displace the air.

the
displace
The plastic wrap concept sucks, because then you have this nasty, paint-saturated piece of plastic that you have to dispose of. The upside down bit seems OK, as long as the can doesn't leak, but the argon concept seems really good.
LOL... I always have a large trash can to toss the plastic wrap in and if the upside down can leaks, the product would probably go bad any way with out farther preventative measures.. I do use Bloxygen in my Gorilla glue however.
Here's another trick. Add a bunch of marbles to your can to raise up the contents to the lid. Keeps the air out. CO 2 will work too.

says...

A cheap alternative is exhaling into the can before you put the lid on. Not pure CO2, but it helps.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Sorry to bust your bubble, but that's really a pretty bad idea. Ambient air is just under 21% oxygen. Exhaled air is about 17-18% oxygen, and is a *lot* more humid.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

I guess I can't argue with the numbers, but it's always seemed to work for me. Is it possible that most of the exhaled oxygen is in the first part of the exhale? I usually wait till the exhale is about half over before breathing into the paint can.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Geez, Larry. Do you throw those straight lines out like that on purpose?
It's *really* testing my self-restraint.
;-)
djb
--
"I'm a man, but I can change... If I have to... I guess." -- Red Green