air tank in lieu of a compressor

I picked up a 10 gallon air tank at Lowes the other day and connected a quick connect fitting to it . Then got a 25' coiled plastic air hose so I could use my brad gun .

As the gun uses very little volume but relies on pressure it seems to be working pretty well . The tank will hold up to 125psi ,the gun uses up to

100psi.

So now I do not have to haul my heavy 220 volt shop compressor all over the place, just use it to charge my tank at the shop before going off site . If I am off site and need more air I can recharge the tank at a local gas station .

So for $40 it saves the cost of a small 110 volt compressor, in this neck of the woods $300. A useful alternative particularly if you do not do that much work off site mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

I use my brad nailer on a CO2 tank. It works great. I am just using the regulator from a helium balloon inflater that cruises around 60-70 psi. It won't shoot a 1 1/4 into oak tho.

Reply to
Greg

Mike,

Thanks for sharing this great tip once again. I have been using and touting the "poor man's" air tool source for 13 years now. My first use of it was to power an air brush to paint a doll house I built back in 1990. I then realized that I could use it to power a brad nailer and I used to fill it at the gas station. Then when they stopped installing those free air pumps, I bought a small AC powered tire inflator to fill the tank with.

That was history. But even as you mentioned having the 220 volt monster, I too keep my little tank filled all the time and reach for it for a few quick shots or to take it in the house for inside work. It sure beats the noise of a regular compressor all the time.

Reply to
Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Wood

I have three air sources.

1) 220V compressor. stays in the shop 2)110V double hotdog compressor. for jobsited where I need to run bigger nailguns or other air tools 3)CO2 tank. for finish nailers when I don't want the noise and long hoses of the compressor. Bridger
Reply to
Bridger