Windows-Argon

Is there any way to tell if a dual pane has Argon gas, how do you know when buying windows that they didn`t just run out of Argon and use air.

Reply to
m Ransley

You don't. However I doubt if many manufactures are going to do that. After all they will be watched by their competition if nothing else.

If they did measuring the effectiveness of the window would tell, but that is not something you are likely to be able to do your self.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Low-e makes a significant difference and can be tested by holding a match/lighter near the window. You will see 4 reflections and the one on the inside of the outer pane will be a different color. Argon accounts for only .03 reduction in the U-factor and supposedly retards the oxidation of the low-e coating.

Martik

This is true. I check mine before I installed them. I guy I know at work said that it was common for them to put the low-e coating on the wrong side. The only one I could not check was the bathroom window since it was frosted.

Remove NoSpam to reply, Thanks

Reply to
Kahlua53