Re: Building a Media Cabinet

scrawled the following:

Yeah, those CDX blows just don't display well at all, do they?
-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson
On 11/04/2009 07:37 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I sympathize with the original poster.
Around here "made in North America" maple A1 ply is about $95/sheet. "Made in China" shop birch is currently on sale at $40/sheet. MDF is $23/sheet, PB is even less.
If money is tight, MDF or PB can be appealing.
Chris
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 10:36:30 -0600, the infamous Chris Friesen

I stocked up on Baltic birch when it went on sale locally for $21/sheet (5' squares of 1/2".) 1/4 of one went for a sled and the rest will become drawers (unfinished) some day in the far future. <sigh> Hmm, I'll have about 4 hours tomorrow morning before the rains hit. I should continue taking crap out of my shop and putting it in the pump house. I'll get out the kukri and hack a trail through that shop _yet_, by golly! Hey, before I do that, is there any contest on for the messiest shop? I'll win a new tablesaur!

And when -isn't- money tight?
-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson
Larry Jaques wrote:

I haven't bought any in a while so I forgot how much it used to cost, but when I bought a sheet yesterday at Fine Lumber here in Austin I thought the $22 price wasn't too bad. They've got tons of it in stock, so any fellow Austin-ites might want to consider stocking up.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

I hate you all. Around here the cheapest I can find it is 60 bucks a sheet.
On 11/05/2009 05:57 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

It's $50 for 1/2" here.
Chris
On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 06:57:35 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"

We're talkin' 5' x 5' x 1/2" utility. What are you talking about, 4' x 8' x 3/4" cabinet grade?
-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson
On 11/05/2009 02:43 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

That price isn't too surprising to me...around here at least there is only one grade of baltic birch. And as I said, one 5x5 sheet of 1/2" will set you back $50.
Cabinet grade maple is $95.
Chris
scrawled the following:

Just returned from Lowes and the current price for Oak plywood is $55, Birch ply is $44 and Blondewood ply is $42 all 3/4" x 4 x 8. MDF is $24 and particleboard is $16..lol..which is sounding much better.

When you're Bill Gates, Donald Trump or any other filthy rich celebrity or business person.