17 - 41 decision to make

Today (Feb 28, 2013) high of about 17. Had some snow last night.

Tomorrow high 41.

I borrowed a roof rake last night. Should I scrape the snow off parents house roof?

We've had ice dams the last time.

Or, will the 41 melt it all off?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The ice dams are a result of run off refreezing. Unless you think that the 41 will take care of ALL of it, I would still rake.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

What a sissy.

You had *some* snow?

What - is snow so rare for you?

41 degrees?

It's been months since I've seen anything higher than 35 degrees. It was -7(f) early this morning. A friggin record low for this date.

You want to know when you get ice dams?

You get ice dams when you've got at least a foot of snow on the roof all the way to the eves, on a shallow-pitched roof, the outside temp doesn't go above freezing but also doesn't go below 25, and the outside temp stays between 25 and 32 for at least 2 or 3 days.

If you don't have icicles forming from your gutters, then you don't yet have conditions for ice daming on the roof.

Reply to
Home Guy

That's the problem, I just don't know. And the next weather is saturday over night 18, and Sunday high 21. Which makes for a lot of refreezing.

Guess I'll call Mom on the phone, see if they got snow, see if she wants me to try out the borrowed roof rake.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The direct answer is "We don't know if 41 will melt it all since we don't know how much is "some snow", we don't know if the roof will get full sun, we don't know if there was already snow on the roof, etc."

The easy answer is "Go say hi to mom, bring her some flowers (Wegmans, right?) and while she's putting them in a vase, test the snow rake so you'll be ready in case you really need it. Clearing the snow certainly can't hurt."

I have an overhang above the driveway and front stoop. I haven't seen any icicles since the roof was replaced and soffit vents were put in, but I clear the snow off just in case. The front steps and driveway right in front of the garage door is the worse place to have icicles dripping and then refreezing.

One thing to be aware of: if it's a substantial amount of snow, it is going to pack down pretty firm when it hits the ground. Even the fluffy stuff becomes hard pack when it drops in bulk from a height. If you then need to clear the area, like I do, a snow blower will come in real handy.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Gee, you really think that matters? :)

Reply to
trader4

I called. Inch or two of snow, no big deal. I'll keep in contact, and see when is the next snow.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

At 3:30am Monday I heard Santa land on the roof, at least that's what it sounded like. Several tree limbs as big around as my leg landed on the roof during a windy rain storm. I think our über-cold weather is over with here in Alabamastan. The kid from across the street who helps us on jobs came over, got up on the roof and cleared all the limbs and debris off the roof. A few years ago, a tree blew over, landed on the roof and a 6" diameter limb punched through the roof and all the way through the living room ceiling half way to the floor. You guys have snow and ice on the roof, we have high winds and trees tearing up our roofs. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'm fortunate none has come through the roof, so far. I did have a branch come down, and needed a tree guy to dice it up and set it out to the curb. Fortunately the park office has someone for that

Some months ago, a tree did smash the main bedroom of a trailer on my street, and the people were not able to live there for a while. It does happen in PRNY, but not as often.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Considering the type of winter we've had, I think it would be prudent to do it. I doubt there's going to be enough warm weather to clear it, and given this winter's whimsies, there's a good chance of at least one or two more good snowstorms before the final thaw. Best to remove what you can now.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Thank you. I agree.

Reply to