Re: Borg getting worse

Page 2 of 2

The one on Hanley Road?
There is one similar at the HD store at 127Ave/88Str in Miami-Kendall. I'm glad to see him being employed there - he's very knowledgeable and above all, very helpful. I only wish HD would clean up their aisles more....Lowe's is far more neat and tidy (but there isn't one in Miami Dade)..... hnb

What Peter said.
Yesterday I was putting in a new window and I ran precariously low on shims. As we have a new Home Depot in town I took the opportunity to use it. They had shims (I was surprised) and I bought 3-packs. I broke open the first two packs and they were all stuck together. The process used to make the shims is a series of slitting saws that leaves a bit of wood at the middle of the shim. These things are crap. Not only do you have to run a utility knife down each one but after the fact you have a shim with a ridge down the middle. Kinda defeats the purpose when you have to factor this ridge collapsing somewhere in the process.
Yes Virginia you can dumb down a $.98 product.
UA100

I hate to appear the "apologist" for Home Depot, but I think you just got a bad batch of shims. I've gotten a couple dozen packs over the years without your kind of problem. In fact, I just went out to the garage and brought in an unopened pack, "Nelson Pro-Line Shims Made From Cedar" from Nelson Wood Shims, Cohasset, MN. Opened the pack and they're "just right."
For future reference, without opening the shrinkwraped pack of shims, you can test them pretty easily for "separation" by twisting the pack.
Jim Stuyck
Jim Stuyck wrote:

Wouldn't that be something you wouldn't necessarily want to see on your resume?

I suppose that could be so.

I have to laugh. The batch(es) I got were from Canada and they mention on the packet that they are "patented". Funny, we can get this crap but we can't get Robertson screws.

Had I only anticipated this factoid going in. In the mean time I'll continue buying my shims from anyone but Home Depot.
UA100
I was gonna toss a comment in about Canadian softwood tariffs....but I won;t :)
Rob
<snipped>>

<snipped>

Might be the brand shims as the local HD stocks the shims made from a single piece of pine. You break the pieces apart at the saw kerf. and like Keith indicated, you have to hammer the flash off.

You know, if you get a bandsaw, an angle cutting jig, a lump of old stock and, say, 15mins, you could "repair" those shims. Lol!
Handy hint: Travellers to Singapore should never order shims, you'll get more than you bargain for . . .
Greg

Repair em,,, hell you could make em... :~)
Leon wrote:

As a matter of fact, when I worked for the stair company I did.
UA100
Seems like in the old days cedar shingles were used..

Leon wrote:

The trouble with cedar was that *store bought* weren't the right size. We cut what was required for out stair trencher. We used the off fall from treads. Kiln dried southern yellow pine and oak mostly.
UA100
To clarify With regard to the 1/4" plywood-- I bought 3 sheets. My friend and I looked at the top sheet and flipped down a few to check another. They were all decent. We grabbed the top 3 off the stack. The bad one was sandwiched in the middle. Yes I could have avoided it - but I don't think I should have to presume that the material on the shelf is damaged. My failure to do so does not excuse their returning the bad sheet to the shelf either. I actually didn't stick around 4 hours. I live about 8 blocks from this store. It's non inconvenient for me to scoot over if I haven't bought enough of something. I was back in the store a few times that day for various electrical, plumbing and wood items. To provide some background...this store was really outstanding when it opened. People were happy to work there and it made he place a pleasure to shop at. A young kid who used to live across the street from me grew up and was doing a good job managing the lumber department. All was well. Enter the New Comandant. I saw the store getting bad. They'd do cart patrol and bring them back without removing the various bits of debris that carts can accumulate...there was nobody working the plumbing aisle, ABS drain parts were a joke. Empty bins with new stock up above not racked in, parts messed up all over the place...warped lumber on the racks... etc.. I asked a few people I have come to know about it and all pointed to the new manager. A slash and burn guy that did a great turn around job on morale and loyalty. The other day I had to find a guy to bring down some valves 'cause the bins were full of the wrong items. I complained about it and he basically told me to f**k off. Now that's customer service. This store has become crap. Yes I can go elsewhere but why should I have to?
and I have written Corporate.
Peter

should I

Ummm, better service, better prices, fewer hassles, less bitching and moaning?

I'd
with
Sounds like the same corporate structure that I work for. Common practice to open a store, give them a flush budget, have the best "golden boy" manager there to open the store, then cut the hell out of operating budget down the road, transfer the favored son out to anothe plum assignment and give the store to a guy that has to make do with a piss poor budget. Small wonder when things don't measure up. And the bottom line is, well, the "bottom line" . Kinda amazing when the district managers will look the other way at complaints when the budget (that is dictated at corporate) is under control. Pat- the grocery business operates the same way...
Peter,
You being from here by me I'm sure you remember waitresses who would approach you table and ask, "How is everything, good?"
It never ceases to crack me up.
UA100
"Peter Crowl" wrote in message:

I believe in offering the corrective and constructive criticism to the borg. I had a problem with the Lowe's here in Houston (Hwy 6 @ FM529). I spoke with the manager who not only appreciated the problem being brought to his attention, but discounted an already discounted item. He also gave me his business card with a future 10% discount on the back - good for my next purchase. Everytime I go in there now and he sees me, he makes it a point to call me by my name, wants to know if he can help me (personally) and continues to offer me the 10% off cards. Sometimes it works - but then again at the H.D. next door (actually adjoining parking lots) the scene is similar to what has been discussed in this thread. Anyone can hang out a nationally recognized sign over a building, have huge corporate funding, etc. but the people provide the service - not the "chain name."
Jim Mc Namara Jums

borg.
Well heck yeah Jim....you are the only one buying the Minwax products and all the Pine.. :~)

all the Pine.. :~)
See Leon - I told ya there was extra benefits to Jummywood but would *you* listen? Noooooooo! :-)
Jums