oven 200 degrees 4 hours kilowatt hours

Wife buys expensive apple chips. I say let's just make them (for free) out of apples.

Just tried it. They're good. Sweet. Crisp. But.

It took a whopping four hours at 200 degrees for just one apple. How can I maybe calculate (roughly) the kilowatt hours it cost?

Reply to
gtr

You can easily calculate the cost of running while the element is on, but once at temperature it will cycle. There is a calculator but I question accuracy as it does not take temperature into the mix. Maintaining 400 degrees will take more power than the same time at 200 degrees. This would be more of a max number as a guide.

Then there is this
oven at 350 degrees = 12-19 cents/hour, depending on which figures you use

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you are only doing one apple, use your toaster oven. OTOH as Ed says, an oven at 200F probably doesn't have the element on half the time. Figure a big oven at 5500KW per Hour while the element is on. How much is your power? For me it is 12cents a KWH so say the duty cycle was 33% for 4 hours (probably high for 200f) about 36 cents. If you are prime rate in California it would be a lot more.

If you live in a place where the sun shines I bet you could make a solar oven that would hold 200f on a sunny day. I made one for recharging silica gel that worked great but I am in Florida. (a piece of glass from a table top in an insulated box with a black metal plate in back).

Reply to
gfretwell

It depends where you live. If you have the furnace on because it's January, any unused heat lowers the furnace cost. Of course electricity is probably more expensive what your furnace runs on but you can multiply by something.

Reply to
micky

A valid point. In fact back in the 70s when we were first talking about being green it was even suggested that you should throw the ice your fridge makes out in the yard as a primitive heat pump scavenging the heat from the water coming in. We don't really use heat here but I see about 10 degrees of delta just from my general lighting load (all the 120v stuff you plug in and the lights) if the windows are closed.

Reply to
gfretwell

We had an option for more insulation when be bought here 3 years ago. Most chilly nights I'm still comfortable come morning. Heat did come on last night though when it got down to 33 degrees.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have a very simple Nesco that I picked up in a yard sale. They still make trays for it (link below) and I don't think it runs much electricity. Certainly less than an electric oven. They dry will in the sun with a little covering of cheese cloth. If you have a gas stove, you can get quite a bit done if your's still has a pilot in it.

Wilson

200F is a low temp, the heat will be off probably 95%+ of the time. I would expect the electric used for 4 hours isn't all that much. Sometimes I want an oven temp of say 120 or 150F for some project. The lowest setting on the oven is 170F. So I have to monitor it to get the right temp. It takes very little on time to raise the temp and you can easily overshoot.
Reply to
trader_4

5.5 megawatt hours will definitely heat an apple.

Why not just record the Kwh on the electric meter before and after?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Doesn't matter in my neck of the woods, the extra oven heat is very welcome. Nothing to go up the chimney, all added heat to the home.

Reply to
Michael Trew

Have you tried looking at your electric meter? Mine has an actual power display that reads to the nearest watt. If your base load is steady it isn't hard to see the peaks drawn by the oven and make an estimate of extra consumption. Automatic loads might have to turned off for the duration of the experiment, but the oven's signature should be fairly obvious.

If you know the element wattage, just timing the thermostat click on and off will give a pretty good hint.

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

You might hold that temp with a light bulb in there.

Reply to
gfretwell

Really fast. Good catch

That is OK if it is the only thing on at the time. The fridge cycling or the HVAC will screw with your numbers There are monitors you can put in your panel (on selected loads) that blue tooth to your phone and give you the power used in real time or cumulative over time similar to a killawatt device.

Reply to
gfretwell

I had to look up what they were. Very finely-slices apple sprinkled with cinnamon that you bake. Sounds wonderful

Four hours sounds about right to dry fruit: evaporating water is fairly power-intensive. My mother used to dry fruit at a lower temp but overnight, because her house had a dual meter which gave cut-rate electricity from 11pm to 8am.

I'm surprised they haven't pre-dried them so that the oven time is limited to the amount needed for crisping them up.

Heating up to temperature takes more than keeping it there for the remaining approx 3¾ hrs, so measure them separately.

Read your meter Keep everything else on or off (ie no other changes) Turn on oven and heat to 200°F (watch that light) Note the time it took, and read the meter again Leave the oven at 200°F for whole hour Read the meter again

Now you can work out how many Kw it takes to get to 200°F /and/ how many units it takes for every hour after that. Then multiply by the cost of a Kw from your electricity company.

(Someone else check my logic here, please)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Flynn