RAS info

Took the old Powr-Kraft RAS motor apart after it secumbed after 33 years. Looks to me like a corpse.
So, being with limited SWMBO budget, went around and looked at the current Ridgid and Craftsman 10" RAS offerings very carefully. Here are some observations maybe someone can substantiate:
Both appear to be identical on the base frame, table supports, table size, column support and column. Both have the same amperage ratings at 120 & 240 V.
Both seem to have the same tabl;e support rails.
They differ in the sheet metal on the top of the arm and the motor housing, kinda like Chevys/Buicks/Olsmobiles.
Craftsman has a couple features that the ridgid doesn't - laser cut guide, seperately powered motor tension/retract at 120V, saw brake(Ridgid may also have this).
The Ridgid seemed to have a much tighter arm than the Craftsman, although this could eaasily be because of crappy store setup.
The prices are $549 for the Ridgid and $599 for the Craftsman (on sale nect week for $569).
So the question is, does anyone know if these are manufactured by the same OEM, if so what are the substantial differences and what are any experiences with either. Craftsman bashers for the sake of Craftsman bashing need not respond.
I also have looked at the Delta 10" which seems to have the same motor power specs, but is unappealing to me with the column raising handle on top of the column - I have a cabinet over the top.
Thanks,
Doug
Take down the model# off the unit (should look like 113.984058 or something along that line) then go to this website: http://www.edgeta.org/sears.htm The first three numbers should indicate mfr.

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 02:27:35 +0000, Joseph Smith wrote:

Interesting info - it's a 315. which makes it a Ryan. I have not heard of them and have no idea of their rep. Also, it would be interesting to trace the mfg of the Ridgid, given the similarities.
Thanks,
-Doug
look in the phone book and see if there is a shop that will rewind that motor. If the saw is in good shape otherwise why throw it away. I don't know if saw motors can be rebuilt, but won't cost nuthin to call and ask.
KY
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Doug Winterburn" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
KY wrtote: Group: rec.woodworking Date: Sun, Feb 8, 2004, 9:49pm From: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (KYHighlander) look in the phone book and see if there is a shop that will rewind that motor. If the saw is in good shape otherwise why throw it away. I don't know if saw motors can be rebuilt, but won't cost nuthin to call and ask. KY ****************************************************** I agree! Any good electric motor repair shop can rewind that motor for a reasonable price and it will be as good as new. You will save money and probably have a better RAS than either of the new ones,
Peace ~ Sir Edgar
KYHighlander wrote:

Or grab all your specs and find something similar at McMaster or Grainger or whoever else will sell a replacement motor.
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 22:22:04 -0500, Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

RASs aren't like a TS - they aren't belt driven and are direct drive. The motor is precisely engineered to fit in a yolk with special hardware. What ever motor has to be rebuilt to fit the housing of the original - a very expensive proposition.
Mine was a one of a kind with a universal motor and two aux spindles - 3450 & 20,000 RPM. Upon examination of the inards, 32 years of use leaves it too close to the edge to make it worthwhile to rebuild. All others I have seen are induction motors and one aux spindle at 3450 - much quiter and in the long run, less prone to wear. 'Tis really true - there are trade-offs to everything.
-Doug
Doug Winterburn wrote:

You're absolutely right! Don't know what I was thinking. Must have had tablesaw or compressor on the brain!
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 21:49:54 -0500, KYHighlander wrote:

BTDT - It's a universal motor and the armature has spiral gears that are almost non existant. To have it rebuilt would mean re-engineering and the estimates I have are ten-fold of what it cost originally. It's time to let go...
-Doug
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Would it be possible to purchase a new motor of same rpm and close to the same physical size and build an adaptor (sleeve) to bolt it to the yoke?     mahalo,     jo4hn
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 16:32:36 +0000, jo4hn wrote:

Anything is possible, but I suspect the custom precision machining would cost more than a new RAS. Also, the main reason I wanted to fix this one was that is had unique features that any new RAS doesn't - universal motor allowing use of speed control and two aux spindles @ 3450 and 20,000 RPM.
-Doug
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Doug...
Don't dumpster your TPC 2610 yet. I may have found you a replacement motor. Mine is still going strong; but one of the people working next door to me its twin; and may be willing to sell. Let me know if you're interested so I can see if he's interested. If you both are, I'll let you guys work out your own deal.
--
Morris Dovey