old craftsman RAS

As long as we're on the RAS subject, I've recently acquired an old Craftsman just like this one

that needs some work. The biggest problem I'm having is that the carriage rocks laterally quite a bit. After taking it apart, I noticed that there is quite a bit of play between the carriage bearings and the arm rails. I can't imagine how this could have happened, though. The bearings are not adjustable and are mounted directly into a cast housing for the carriage, so they really couldn't have moved out over time. The rails don't present any significant wear.... definalty not enough to produce the amount of play there is. The only thing I can think to do is to take the rails off and make some kind of curved washers to put behind them to bring them out.

Has anyone addressed a similar problem with this saw?

Thanks,

Moore

Reply to
moore

Looks similar to my RAS. If it is, the adjustable rollers are on the left side of the carriage. The two bolts on that side are eccentric.

Reply to
ks

On a Searz RAS, the roller bearings are adjustable on the left hand side. With the left hand cover removed, the bearings have a locking nut under them and a cam type bolt through them that allows them to be adjusted.

You need to get the amnual for this or similar or preeferrably Jon Eakes book on setting up and tuning the RAS:

When adjusted properly, there should be no movement vertically or side to side and the motor should move smothly but with some even resistance along the entire length of the track.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Another possibility is there is an adjustment for the "riding bearing" on a center track. Look just above the handle to see if there is an adjusting screw at that point.

If the saw was made by Emerson Electric, you may be eligible for a safety upgrade. They will supply you with parts and instructions for rebuilding the head assembly at no charge. I don't know the website for the instructions, but you should be able to Google for it.

Reply to
Dustmaker

And are not the rods down the inside of the arm also movable/loosen and turn a couple few degree to make a new bearing surface or am I mixed up with the Delta?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

If they're moveable on the Searz, it'd hafta be by 180 degrees as they're attached with a screw on each end into the arm casting.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Huh? What do you mean "rebuilding the head assembly"? The safety upgrade consists of a new guard, a new handle, and a new table. Nothing has to be "rebuilt" unless you count removing and replacing two Allen screws to change out the handle "rebuilding".

And there is nothing in the recall kit that would have any effect on the adustment which is giving him difficulty.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'll take another look again tonight. It looked like all 4 of the bearings were non-eccentric, but it sure makes sense that there should be eccentric bearings on at least one side.

Thanks for the info

Moore

Reply to
moore

You guys were right on! Turning the top bolt on the left bearings brought it right in. Snug as a bug in a rug!

Thanks a million.

Moore

Reply to
moore

But, you gotta know *how* snug. If you can put your finger (covered by a rag) on the bearing and move the carriage without being able to stop the bearing rotation, you have it right. And you need to set both bearings with this same resistance. And, you should be able to move the motor the full length of the arm with a smooth and consistant resistance.

And, you gotta find the lock nut under the bearing (usually) and lock things down so they don't squirm loose.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn