rare earth magnets

Yeah and most likely most of the UPS cab is aluminum. But think of all the crap in the other packages that would be stuck to the magnet. ==================================================================== I imagine it would come in a really big box.

Reply to
CW

Even more ridiculous (or likely). A car passing a UPS truck and they get stuck together. :)

Reply to
Dave

It happens to dogs ...

Reply to
Swingman

Now my cat hates you and it's your fault. My cat sits beside me on my desk as I use the computer. Your dog comment made me laugh so hard that she shot out of the room like a rocket.

Reply to
Dave

LOL Glad I could be of some assistance to someone else this morning. :)

Since I started typing usenet messages this morning, and in between same, I've unloaded precisely 337.5 sf of travertine out of the back of my pickup at a remodel I've got going on about three blocks away from the house, came back, cooked breakfast and got the two girls away on a hopefully safe journey to AR ... now, back to check on the tile crew that was NOT there in time to help me unload my truck.

It's gonna be a multi-tasking week.

Here's where my canine companion stays when I'm at the computer:

is, despite appearances, indeed alive.

Reply to
Swingman

Now my cat hates you and it's your fault. My cat sits beside me on my desk as I use the computer. Your dog comment made me laugh so hard that she shot out of the room like a rocket. =================================================================== Earlier this morning, I opened a bag of rolls. Was going to have one for breakfast. Non resealable bag so I left it on the counter. Was going to put them in another bag after I ate. I came back and there was one of my cats, sitting on the floor munching on a roll. She didn't want the roll, she just wanted to steal it. We have five cats. They're like little kids. Amazing how much trouble they can get in to.

Reply to
CW

Is it the fact that the magnets lose their chrome or nickel plating that bugs you? Or that the magnets are no longer effectively useful? I use magnets all over the place. Good sources are from stripped magnetrons from microwaves (quite powerful, ferrous)[1] and stripped out hard drives (good quality, powerful, rare earth magnets)[2]. I'm generally not too much bothered by the aesthetics.

[1] Your own, neighbours, skips etc. These also yield a bunch of screws and other bits. [2] OK, you're the bloke who has never had a HDD fail.

No offence meant or intended,

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

I have taken the magnets out of hard drives.

But I am not c>> Almost all of the rare earth magnets I have had eventually lose there

Reply to
tiredofspam

That's a dog? Hell Karl, that dog is smaller than my cat. My cat isn't angry at you any more, she's laughing.

Reply to
Dave

I understand completely. Every time I'm in the kitchen munching on something, my cat is there mewling up a storm until I give her some. She never eats what I give her, she just wants some of what I'm eating. Except of course for carrot muffin. *That* she likes and will eat.

Reply to
Dave

I recon if the magnet is attached to a fixed object it would effectively weigh 1000 lbs. Probably would not be a hazard. BUT Imagine the UPS guy trying to get it out of his truck!

****************************************** Not an issue. The magnet would be shipped with a few inches of space between it and the sides of the box so it will not stick. Besides, UPS trucks are normally made of aluminum and fiberglass.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans