rare earth magnets

Page 2 of 2
On 3/26/2012 8:07 AM, Dave wrote:

It happens to dogs ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Now my cat hates you and it's your fault. My cat sits beside me on my desk as I use the computer. Your dog comment made me laugh so hard that she shot out of the room like a rocket.
On 3/26/2012 8:38 AM, Dave wrote:

LOL Glad I could be of some assistance to someone else this morning. :)
Since I started typing usenet messages this morning, and in between same, I've unloaded precisely 337.5 sf of travertine out of the back of my pickup at a remodel I've got going on about three blocks away from the house, came back, cooked breakfast and got the two girls away on a hopefully safe journey to AR ... now, back to check on the tile crew that was NOT there in time to help me unload my truck.
It's gonna be a multi-tasking week.
Here's where my canine companion stays when I'm at the computer:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJustStuff#5723588834723567906
She is, despite appearances, indeed alive.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

That's a dog? Hell Karl, that dog is smaller than my cat. My cat isn't angry at you any more, she's laughing.
"Dave" wrote in message wrote:

Now my cat hates you and it's your fault. My cat sits beside me on my desk as I use the computer. Your dog comment made me laugh so hard that she shot out of the room like a rocket. ==================================================================Earlier this morning, I opened a bag of rolls. Was going to have one for breakfast. Non resealable bag so I left it on the counter. Was going to put them in another bag after I ate. I came back and there was one of my cats, sitting on the floor munching on a roll. She didn't want the roll, she just wanted to steal it. We have five cats. They're like little kids. Amazing how much trouble they can get in to.

I understand completely. Every time I'm in the kitchen munching on something, my cat is there mewling up a storm until I give her some. She never eats what I give her, she just wants some of what I'm eating. Except of course for carrot muffin. *That* she likes and will eat.
I recon if the magnet is attached to a fixed object it would effectively weigh 1000 lbs. Probably would not be a hazard. BUT Imagine the UPS guy trying to get it out of his truck! ****************************************** Not an issue. The magnet would be shipped with a few inches of space between it and the sides of the box so it will not stick. Besides, UPS trucks are normally made of aluminum and fiberglass.
-- Jim in NC
On 3/25/2012 11:50 AM, Robatoy wrote:

They do have a load if info and a wide variety, some of those magnets look lake fleas.
"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

Yes, no, maybe, absolutely, and I don't have a clue.
Magnets have a lifetime, and can be affected by lots of things. Temperature, percussion, strong magnetic fields, lots of things.
I just buy them in bulk, and if they are acting up, I order another 100. I'm sorry, I have not kept track of suppliers and performance, but they're so cheap, I don't mess with the details.
I have bought some through magnetsource.com, as well as others. All in all, I'm satisfied with their performance when their previous generation is considered.
Steve
"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

Is it the fact that the magnets lose their chrome or nickel plating that bugs you? Or that the magnets are no longer effectively useful? I use magnets all over the place. Good sources are from stripped magnetrons from microwaves (quite powerful, ferrous)[1] and stripped out hard drives (good quality, powerful, rare earth magnets)[2]. I'm generally not too much bothered by the aesthetics.
[1] Your own, neighbours, skips etc. These also yield a bunch of screws and other bits. [2] OK, you're the bloke who has never had a HDD fail.
No offence meant or intended,
Nick.
I have taken the magnets out of hard drives.
But I am not concerned about the aesthetics of my shop stuff. But I am about projects. When I sink a magnet as door catch I worry about when it will look like shit.