Random orbital sander - Help me decide

Page 1 of 2
I currently have a "Tim Tayler Signature" (I know, wow!) RO sander. It has a 2.4A motor and 12,500 orbits/minute. When I apply pressure the sander slows down and/or stops completely. My first thought is I need a more powerful motor. But looking at what's currently available, other than the real expensive ones, most motors aren't even 2.4A. So what's the deal, is it a feature that the motor slows to prevent me from scratching my work? Is it a common problem among all RO sanders? I have had no reliability problems with this sander so I need to justify replacing it. Thanks. Andy
I wonder if you have a seized bearing. My porter cable was doing the same thing till I freed up one of the main bearings

If I were going to buy another RO sander I'd buy a Bosch 5 or 6" I've used all of the big makers sanders and much prefer the Bosch

Do not apply pressure. You should only let the weight of the sander do the work. If the sander is not removing material fast enough for you may need more aggressive paper or to move up in power to a right angle style ROS.

Second Leon's thinking. If you're bearing down so hard that the sander struggles, you're probaly removing too much material anyway. Lighten up and go to a heavier grit, e.g., start with 80 and progress to 120, 150, 180 etc. Yeah, it takes a litle longer, but refinishing to remove those scratches that only show up after the second coat is a real PITA, eh? I've had two DeWalt sanders and have liked them both, esp. the rip & replace paper.
Bob

Andy wrote:

TWS
proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
If you want a _random_ sander, where's the problem deciding? <G>

***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Andy,
As for replacing the sander, you never mentioned if it was round, 1/4 or 1/3 sheet ? Now depending on what/how big of a piece you are sanding will determine what you get. I have all three sanders which I use for both automotive and woodworking sanding projects. If you are using the sander for small projects, the round or 1/4 sheet palm sander would be fine. On the other hand, if you are doing table tops or armoir's ( sp? ) then the bigger sander is the one to go with.
The one big kicker for me is how noisy the sander is, not so much how big the motor is. Cheap sanders won't last as long and are REALLY noisy, plus a better sander will vibrate less in your hands giving you more control. If you do any amount of sanding at all it's worth it to go more expensive and find a sander that's quiet. The one I have at the moment that I LOVE is my Bosch. Compared to every other sander I have used it's the least noisy.
As for it slowing down and stopping I would say that your brushes may be getting a little worn, it may be time to replace your RO. Unless you really like it and want to spend the money to have the motor rebuilt. Most alternator/starter repair shops have the ability to rebuild your motor. They will also re cut your stator winding grooves and when you get it back it should be powerful as it was when new. Now like someone else said, pull it apart and make sure it's not a bushing or bearing that's gone. They don't last forever.
Hope this helps, good luck.
Todd
snipped-for-privacy@mail.com (Andy) wrote in message

gear snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca (Todd) wrote in

I'll echo this. We have several sanders on hand, including some cheap ones received as gifts or bought for one-off projects, etc. Over the years I've melted down several B&D or equivalent 1/2 sheet sanders, all of which are made entirely of cheap plastic and quite literally melt with use. Unless someone's given it to you, I'd avoid B&D, Skill, etc. as next to useless (though they will sand a few items in a pinch before failing).
Much higher on my list are consumer models from reputable tool makers. Right now we have a Makita palm sander and a Bosch 5" RO sander we've been using a lot on a remodel project and in some furniture building. Both work well, are comfortable to use for longer periods, and seem sturdy enough to last a while. I expect the same goes for the Dewalt, PC, etc. brands at similar price points ($50 for the palms, $100 for the RO, give or take).
If you're able to bog down the "Tim the Toolman" sander that easily, I'd give it away before it melts and go buy something a step or two better...it'll save you trouble in the near future.
-Derek
RE: Subject
Sanding is a total PITA, thus bigger is better IMHO.
I have a 6" Bosch that gets no respect.
Building a boat, I beat the crap out of it and it just comes back for more.
When it's time to replace it, will get another Bosch or maybe the 8" Fein.
There are both German, you can't go wrong with either one.
Lew

Hey Lew - have you ever used an 8" machine? If you have, ignore the rest of what I have to say, but if you haven't then let me say that you won't want to replace a 6" tool with an 8" tool. (intentionally leaving that wide open...). I'd go with both in my inventory if I were you. 8" is great for knocking down big stuff and for overall leveling, but it won't get in where 6" will and it gets unwieldy after a while.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
"Mike Marlow" writes:

Actually, I use a 9" right angle machine equipped /w/ 16 grit disks as my basic fiberglass sanding tool.
Trust me, it can be a bear some days.

Naw, naw, won't ignore you.

That's why Fein makes a detail sander, IMHO.
Far more useful than any ROS , IMHO.
Lew

Lew, is the Fein detail sander really that much better than the cheaper types? Not looking to start a war here, but my cheapie Ryobi seems to do pretty good for what I need it for.
--
Nahmie
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 06:42:09 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"

it is. I've had both....
"Norman D. Crow writes:

Once you use the Fein, you'll never go back.
Lew
Thanks for all the replies. It's a 5" round. Most of my jobs are small, but I do wish I had a belt sander sometimes like when I was trying to strip paint off of my porch (only about 100sq.ft). I was using 80 or 50 grit but it still wasn't working. I apply as much pressure as if I were doing it by hand, so I don't know if that's excessive. The weight of the sander alone definitely is not enough unless it's finishing work. Perhaps I need a belt sander instead of a more powerful RO sander.
gear snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca (Todd) wrote in message

On 27 Sep 2004 06:07:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mail.com (Andy) wrote:

Just to reiterate what has been said before: you are using too much pressure. The weight of the ROS is about all the force that you need. Iy you need more force, then you are probably using the wrong tool. A 5" sander IS definitely undersized for stripping paint from 100 sq. ft. It is more suited for finish work, as you surmised. You're right in thinking that a belt sander is more appropriate for this type of heavy duty.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/wgoffeney/Woodworking/Woodworking.htm
Somebody wrote:

You are asking a boy to do a man's job.
Use a chemical paint stripper to get rid of the heavy stuff followed by some quality time with that baby (5") ROS equipped with some 40 grit paper.
The only reason I don't suggest 24 grit is because they don't make it for a smaller ROS.
After it's cleaned up, follow up with some 80/100 grit before painting.
Unless you are skilled with a belt sander (Read that you have experience destroying lots of things with a belt sander), forget it.
I do a lot of sanding.
The least used sanding tool I have is a belt sander.
HTH
Lew
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:44:12 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Or sit down with a putty knife and heat gun. It takes it down to nearly bare wood in no time at all.

Yeah, a belt sandah can put a trench in wood in a hurry.

Mostly on epoxy on your teensy toy boat, right? ;)

Well, if his brushes are getting a little worn, they are acting like they should. All brushes wear and motors don't run poorly because they start to wear. It certainly is not a sign that he needs a new sander. Oh wait a minute - my bad... of course, it *is* a reason for a new sander. I forgot for a moment the line that goes "hey Hun, I need a new sander, this old POS that I've been using is wearing out the brushes." Ok, so I can be a little slow on the uptake sometimes...